Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

recorded video always pixelates at around 12 second mark

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
relevance
Tutor
Tutor

Hey guys,

I was using arlo wireless camera (1st gen) and recently added Arlo Q to it.

However, I've noticed that Arlo Q camera recordings are always pixelating at around 12 to 15 second mark and goes for about 3 seconds unable to view in detail. when I stream or manual record, it has no pixelation issues, it only does it on movement detection recording.

This is what I've done trying to address the issue.

1. reset the device

2. connect  Arlo Q in different prequencies (2.4ghz, and 5ghz)

3. connect to wireless repeater

4. tried moving closer to wireless router (3 ft apart from each other)

5. tried different network (my 4g LTE hotspot 150mbps down and 50mbps up)

6. reconnecting the device

none of those methods worked.

I know it can't be the bandwidth issue because I tried on both my cable (100mbps down 10 mbps up) and my LTE hotspot (150mbps down 50mbps up)

here is the video i uploaded on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7QzAuzv4I

is everyone having same issues? firmware is the latest one 1.8.3.0_9926. and recording on 1080p settings with audio disabled.

I would like to know if this is a defect or firmware issue. it doesn't seem like I can roll back the firmware to previous one to test it out.

Thank you guys for reading my post.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
relevance
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,

sorry took long time for the follow up.

6 different targets I went and called to ask for replacement, they didn't have any so i had to wait for them to ship a new one and process it, as well as few days for testing.

I've concluded that my first unit was a defect since the 2nd unit I got doesn't have those issues I was having.

Overall, this is a fine device to put around the house.

Thanks again for you guys' help, without your responses, I would have pulled my hair trying to figure stuff out.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I wouldn't call that the typical pixelation reported here.  It strikes me as an indoor camera looking outdoors changing exposure some.  If you really want it to view the outdoors, move the camera as close as possible to the glass - don't set it back.  If you're only interested in the indoors part, remove the window from the view as much as possible.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Watched the vid...

Easy test, move the camera ( not far from its current location or just rotate if possible ) and video inside the room not having a large variance of light changes... see it the camera does the same thing shooting inside the room as opposed to outside

As a PS. My camera is up against a window but it is shielded from back lighting due to curtain sheers ( back lighting can reflect off glass causing iris issues )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
relevance
Tutor
Tutor

thank you guys for the quick replies.

I was moving the camera around the house to test and I just randomly chose that spot to upload a video. I wasn't intend to use this camera as outdoor or facing out window as I already own two arlo wireless cameras with a basestation (1st gen)

I've uploaded another sample. its a well lit indoor (my IT office) with 1gb down/up network so it will work as fast as what Arlo Q can offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOppng8rCmg

please check out the label on my hand sanitizer how it blurrs out. not quiet 1080p HD in my taste. the funny thing is, it only happens once during the recording and always like this in between 10 - 20 second mark. please ignore my model hand waving.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned, It is not the normal pixelation seen with an issue... but to me appears to be be more of an interference issue in the second clip ( not saying it is , but looks like that ) or may be loss of a key frame in the compression.

Normally, I said do the reset ( but you alreeady did ).

I can say I haven't seen it on my Q cam, maybe others have and will speak up.

You can always open a trouble report to Netgear and see what they say... via Netgear Support.

here's an example from mine... windy and a lot of movement but no loss of rez... lot of data with this vid ( thru double glass )

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/14AA7B3D872A4CCB_201705

relevance
Tutor
Tutor

I'm thinking getting it exchanged since I'm still under return policy at Target. (receipt says by May 26th)

I've asked my buddy who has a same device and he claims he hasn't noticed any of this I showed.

the camera is packed and ready to go back.

I'll keep you guys posted so that people who has similar issues can tag along on this post.

only if there is an option to roll back the firmware version...I could have tested more.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

that may be a good / quick choice

relevance
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,

sorry took long time for the follow up.

6 different targets I went and called to ask for replacement, they didn't have any so i had to wait for them to ship a new one and process it, as well as few days for testing.

I've concluded that my first unit was a defect since the 2nd unit I got doesn't have those issues I was having.

Overall, this is a fine device to put around the house.

Thanks again for you guys' help, without your responses, I would have pulled my hair trying to figure stuff out.

adflau
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem at the 15 sec mark which usually happens to be the exact moment I want to have clear picture.
I thought it was a problem with our internet but good to know it can be hardware related (somehow?).

Cheers
relevance
Tutor
Tutor

I do still see it from time to time with lowered resolution recordings for few seconds with the replaced device but not as severe as the first one I returned.

I am now learned to live with it because it still does what I want it to do.

I'm guessing the firmware needs to be updated with little more optimized compression methods on the device.

Only time will tell.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one, i thought either my luck is bad for picking out a device or my eyes are super sensitive on advertized "1080p recording"