Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How are the lights/cameras mounted together?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
BKMCO
Follower
Follower

I have five Arlo cameras (3 of the originals and 2 of the Pros).  I can't find anywhere in the marketing how these and the new lights work together, no pictures of how they're supposed to be mounted.  Do you mount the lights right next to the camera, so they're sitting sidy by side or one on top of another?  Or does the camera fit INTO the light box?  It's really not clear.  

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@BKMCO

I believe you can mount them anywhere within the range of the base station that you feel that motion would trigger the light, send you a notification and start the nearest camera to start recording video. So, you need to take all four items into consideration when you mount them.

They must be in range of the base station, be in a location where motion detection would be most beneficial, be in a location where the light would be most beneficial and in a location where the camera can benefit the most by the additional light.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

first read these links.... and the pictures included in amazon

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlo-security-light/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078L1FZXS?tag=price2289-20&ascsubtag=279613286&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It appears the basic setup is 2 lights and a bridge unit ( think of  a wifi extender  )

the Bridge unit hooks into your home wifi and then the lights must be mounted within range of the Bridge.

They can be mounted near or by the cameras ( I wouldn't put them very close side-by-side so as not to wash out the camera picture ) but a bit away or behind the camera ...or even far away facing the camera's coverage area.

The camera does not mount in the light ... I assume the camera is filled by a good sized battery pack to allow a good light/time usage.

We will know more as they are released and see the ads just like you for now. ( try and search the internet )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
brh
Master
Master

@TomMac

Thanks for posting the links. The bridge is a new one for me - I hadn't seen that before. Depending on the range, a house might need at least a couple of bridges. Also at 4 inches tall, these are much bigger than the cameras. I'm assuming they have much larger batteries. By the looks of things the motion detectors can only turn on the lights and probably can trigger the cameras to record, but I don't see that they can do much more. Also it looks like there is no way to incorporate them into the Smartthings system. As you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Brian

Shrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

The lights should just connect to my standard Arlo Pro base. If not, I'm not interested. Why do I need another device as a point of failure in the system!? Just have it connect to the standard Arlo base please...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since we don't know what the architecture of the device is or how it's used we can't make statements as to why the bridge is needed. I'm not sure why it needs the bridge or whether it would be useful to connect to the base although for someone with a system that doesn't use bases (Q and Go) it would seem that the bridge would be necessary.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation