Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 brand new cameras. Settings all checked. Why are they missing obvious motion detections?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Fallonprod
Tutor
Tutor
7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Because your motion detection sensitivity setting combined with your camera placement are not optimal

Fallonprod
Tutor
Tutor
Camera placement? The camera on the front of the house has the driveway in clear view in the top half of the frame and will not pick up the car pulling in or out of the driveway. The camera in the back of the house does not even pick me up walking through the middle of the yard. Sensitivity on both are set to high. Wondering if the cameras are not as great as Arlo would have you think. Not sure what else I would need to do. Would hate to send everything back... really want them to reliably work.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Positioning is key. Like any PIR detector device (think motion-activated lights), motion AT the camera is harder to detect than motion ACROSS the FOV. Post screenshots of what the camera(s) see for suggestions.

Fallonprod
Tutor
Tutor
Here is a screen shot of the two cameras... seems if I get within 10 feet it will trigger most of the time. But 20 or so feet, or a car pulling into the driveway it will not. That’s a pretty small field of motion right?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

"High" isn't a sensitivity setting. A car at 20 feet should be fine but you'll need to increase the motion sensitivity from what it is stock standard

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would try to tilt the front camera down some to help minimize the view. I'd also turn it to the left in increments to get action more across the FOV but it's rather limited to do so. For the back, the view across the yard is the killer. People detection is only 20 feet or so, best case so placing the camera closer to where action is anticipated would definitely help. It may require 2 (or more) cameras if you really need to cover the whole yard. You could then use nested rules where one camera triggers another, like this:

cam1 detects, cam1 records

cam1 detects, cam2 records

cam2 detects, cam2 records

cam2 detects, cam1 records

etc.

Fallonprod
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks all for the replies... will play with them in the next few days...