Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
MADDCAPP
Follower
Follower

WHY DOES MY ARLO WIRE FREE SECURITY SYSTEM LIVE FEED TIME OUT FASTER AND MORE FREQUENTLY THAN BEFORE i CHANGED MY BATTERIES

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

New version of SW app  ???

What do you mean time out ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BESTRUMS
Aspirant
Aspirant

ALL CAMERAS

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

App or browser?  Have you tried logging out and back in?  For the app, try force closing it and try again. Also for the app, is it the same for both WiFi and cell service?

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

I'm having the same problem. Its a bit worse with the phone app, but on my laptop its pretty bad as well. 

Seven out of ten times I try to go live the camera times out, but connects that second time. At least once each ten times it doesn't even connect the second time. 

This is especially annoying when you hear something outside and you want to see what's going on with a camera only to have it take so long that whatever was going on has passed.

Not very convenient.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like it could be a WiFi issue between the camera and base, especially if this happens on both WiFi and cell service. I've found the computer to work much faster than the app so it's either something about you Internet access speeds or the base/camera connection.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

I suspect its something to do with the connection between the base and the cameras but I have no clue about how to resolve the issue.. 

My base is optimally located on the first floor almost perfectly equidistant from all the cameras. Its running off a muscle bound Nighthawk R7000. Comcast is delivering the Internet to me at a robust 125 Mbps.

The timeouts occur equally as often for the closest cameras as well as the most distant. Worse, there is not method to its madness. Out of every ten attempts it  sometimes connects right away, but most of the time regardless of the time of day or weather it will timeout the first time and then connect the second.

The PC app is better but  it still happens.

Rob713
Initiate
Initiate
I am having the same problem.
The camera is not even wanting to go live. On the browser version on my PC. It goes straight to time out message. My app seems to be working fine via IOS. I use chrome on my PC.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Most (all?) recent browser updates have disabled Flash which is needed by live view. You have to enable it in the browser settings. Google how to enable Flash in Chrome or search here.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

For the record here, I have previously posted that I have the latest DOCSIS 3.1 (Gigabit capable) modem coupled with Netgear's own high performance R7000 Nighthawk router. Comcast is supplying me with 200 Mbps which is blazing fast with virtually no latency (6-12 ms).

My PC is a Dell XPS 9550 i7 6th generation with 16 GB memory, a Toshiba X3 SSD, and a high performance Nvidia 960M discreet graphics chip with 4 GB of memory. The machine is equipped with a high performanc 802.11ac WiFi card which my Netgear Genie tells me consistenly communicates at 877 Mbps. 

I use a new smartphone, a Google Pixel 2 running Android Oreo (8.10) which is among the most highly rated and powerful smartphones on the market today using also a 802.11ac WiFi card and which Netgear Genie tells me consistenly communicates at 500 Mbps.

My point here is that I get blazing fast, consistent network\Internet performance and yet when I try to go live on ANY of my cameras, they almost always time out at least two times before finally connecting, disconnect prematurely frequently, and my issues with the battery life on most of them is noted here.

As I have stated previously, based up this I have begun to suspect that the reason for this and the weak link is the Netgear 'man in the middle' server connections which are either poorly configured suffering awfuly latency or the servers are all all too frequently overloaded.

Yes, as has been suggested, I can open up  a support ticket as all my cameras and base station are well within warranty but that would mean bringing down half my system which I have come to rely on and additonally, having already had a taste of Netgear support where I was forced to pay shipping on returning a defective camera, I am very leery of what sort of fiasco would commence if I tried to return four cameras at once.

It sure would be nice if Netgear were to reach out and tell us whether its a firmware\server issue that they're working on or offer to ship me a bunch of cameras on an expedited basis so I can replace then all at once and keep my system up but I'm not holding my breath that this would happen.

I intend to keep at it though.

rainbows4me
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just made a large investment in the Arlo Pro 2 system plus add on cameras.  Everytime I go live, the video times out in just a couple minutes rendering this entire system useless for the purpose of monitoring activities in my stables, the safety of people riding and horses that are under medical treatment.  Should I just give it up and return the whole system?  Is this just typical?  It appears from many comments that the reliability is just not there.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@rainbows4me wrote:

I just made a large investment in the Arlo Pro 2 system plus add on cameras.  Everytime I go live, the video times out in just a couple minutes rendering this entire system useless for the purpose of monitoring activities in my stables, the safety of people riding and horses that are under medical treatment.  Should I just give it up and return the whole system?  Is this just typical?  It appears from many comments that the reliability is just not there.

From my experience in the past year I don't believe the Arlo system was designed as a continuous monitoring security network. The longest I've ever been able to monitor live on my basic Arlo system is about ten minutes after which the connection times out. 

At ths point I don't believe that Netgear's servers are configured for continous  monitoring nor are the robust enough to provide this to their multitude of users. I believe (my opinion only) that the system was meant for the casual user with relatively minor security concerns. The strongest point of the system is the ability to record. This actually is pretty valuable as the Arlo system stands. 

A neighbor of mine after suffering a burglary, seeing me deploying mine, bought a  basic system based upon my explanation of its capabilities. Shortly after deploying his few cameras, one camera deployed inside his home actually caught the burglar in the act. The image was clear enough to make a positive identification and surely will lead to a swift conviction.

It sounds to me that you either need to inquire if one of Arlo's powered 'babysitter' cameras will provide the continuous coverage you need which would allow you to continue to use the system and if not you probably would be better served to  bite the bullet and upgrade to a fully powered system.