Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
FirebladeRunner
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I have recently installed a 4 camera setup   with the base station next to the router in my office in the upstairs front room. The cameras on the ground floor, particularly the one outside the back door, have a much reduced signal. If I add a second base station downstairs, connected via a powerline to the router, I assume this is OK  and the downstairs cameras will get an improved signal. Will this be OK with my basic (free) subscription. Will I be able to add a 5th camera to that subscription with 2 base stations?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... there is NO limit as to the number of bases allowed on any servcie level ( nor location, it can be in another state ).

The limit is the number of cameras on your service level... Basic/free is 5.

You can only truely extend you coverage area by adding more bases... An extender with an etherent port will work fine for the second base. ( you sysnc the closest cameras to each base for best signal )

Or before you buy, you may want to use an extender to locate the base more centrally.

The only possible downside of multi bases is that each base has to be armed/scheduled/disarmed on it's own.

Tho all cams appear in the web/app.  ( I actually find this as a plus as it makes ( for me ) easier to program cams like front yard / back yard )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... there is NO limit as to the number of bases allowed on any servcie level ( nor location, it can be in another state ).

The limit is the number of cameras on your service level... Basic/free is 5.

You can only truely extend you coverage area by adding more bases... An extender with an etherent port will work fine for the second base. ( you sysnc the closest cameras to each base for best signal )

Or before you buy, you may want to use an extender to locate the base more centrally.

The only possible downside of multi bases is that each base has to be armed/scheduled/disarmed on it's own.

Tho all cams appear in the web/app.  ( I actually find this as a plus as it makes ( for me ) easier to program cams like front yard / back yard )

FirebladeRunner
Tutor
Tutor

I should add that the base station is  a VMB3000, without the siren. If I purchase the additional base station (VMB4000), the one with the siren, I assume the USB ports will be functional.

FirebladeRunner
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the very prompt reply.  Smiley Happy

BTW I love your avatar. I owned an ST1100 before I bought my CBR900 (Fireblade).

FirebladeRunner
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks again. Your reply prompted me to try putting the base station in the lounge which is equidistant from all 4 cameras. I plugged it into a   spare port on a  router that has the modem disabled and that acts as an access point to the WiFi. All works fine and I now have full bars on the signal strength for all 4 cameras. You have saved me £90. Thanks again.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, the usb ports on the original base are not functional... the new Pro base ( or Pro2 base ) are

Glad to hear it worked out for you