Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo E-mail Alerts

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Cattywumpuss
Guide
Guide

Morning. This past weekend we started getting multiple batches of e-mail alerts form the Arlo cameras. The e-mail alerts were NOT new activity, simply repeated e-mails telling us about activity earlier in the day. Has anybody else been having this problem?

For a while we were getting a batch of e-mails almost every 2 hours, which was really annoying. Like I said, it was not new activity, just alerts from activity earleir in the day that we had already seen / responded to. Thanks, and hope you all have a great day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering has identified the cause of this issue and it should now be resolved. Please let me know if you continue to experience this issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't heard of issues, but it could also be from your cell provider/ email server...

Reset the phone ( power down and up ) amd see if that make any diff.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
moosemilk61
Initiate
Initiate
Same problem here constant repeat emails.
Throckmorton
Initiate
Initiate

I'm also getting delayed and batched emails. started this past weekend.

Cattywumpuss
Guide
Guide

Yes, thats exactly what started happening to me this past weekend. It is still going on, at random times during the day and night. I tried 'Arming' and 'Disarming' the Arlo server but that made no difference.

The e-mails are coming through to our e-mail account, so its not anything to do with the phone. All our other e-mails from our same ISP are fine though, so I don't think it is our internet provider either.

I think it is something to do on the back end with Arlo and their alerts and how they are sent out. Its almost like their alert e-mails are repeating on a cycle. Very annoying and hard to tell now what is a genuine alert and what is a 'repeat'. Arlo needs to look in to this if multiple people are having the same problem.

nh187
Tutor
Tutor

I have a strange issue - for the past week, I have been receiving 2 email alerts for each motion detection incident.  These emails show the same timestamp of recording, and same thumbnail of what triggered the camera.

Also - several hours later, the system will send me additional emails with the same screenshots of what triggered the camera hours before.  Sometimes, I will wake up to 30-40 emails of the same 5 events that happened earlier that day.

On top of this, when I go to view my devices - both on the mobile app and in a web browser - the counter for recordings always shows 0.  The thumbnails are updated with the latest image that triggered the recording, and the recordings are being saved to the library, but I do not know how many incidents triggered the recording without going into the library for that device because it always shows 0.

I tried restarting the base station remotely, unplugging the base station, restarting my router, switching modes, and logging in and out of the mobile app and web interface.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I haven't experienced this behavior. Is this still occurring?

Consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button) and test again to see if you still have the same behavior.

JamesC

LeandroPascual
Tutor
Tutor

Yes! It's still happenning here too! It's a nightmare! Every alert gets send by email multiple times, which makes the whole feature useless.

Any response from Arlo customer support?

LeandroPascual
Tutor
Tutor

Oh, and yes, I restarted my Arlo station. No change: still multiple emails (randomly through the day, and even from other days) for each single alert.

SimonOldham
Guide
Guide
Can also concur, repeat emails being sent (almost like a partial replay of previous generated list). I am currently getting 2 emails for the 1 motion detection, these have distinct, unique email IDs from gmail. So either the base station has software problems or the cloud recording and notification service is playing up.
SimonOldham
Guide
Guide

Info below

HW VersionVMB3010r2

Firmware1.8.9.1_13442

LeandroPascual
Tutor
Tutor

I have written customer support an email. They also have a contact phone. Probably we should try to ping them and see if they are working on a solution: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Do you still get 0 video counts if you log in through the web interface?

nh187
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, it stays at zero no matter which interface I use.

Cattywumpuss
Guide
Guide

So it got so bad yesterday that I turned off the e-mail alerts for all of my ARLO cameras (and saved the change). However, can you believe we are still getting alert e-mails sent out every hour in batches. These are for motion detections that happened hours and days ago.

This is extremely frustrating as it makes the cameras and the whole point of having a system like this useless. I clear out my Inbox and 1 hour later we have another 50+ e-mail alerts. I sent a report to Custoemr Service too.

I have tried powering my ARLO server on and off (both power button and by pulling the power cord) and I have tried cycling through having my server "Armed" and "Disarmed". We are not having any problems with any other e-mails form our ISP so I am thinking it is problem with ARLO and their servers and how their e-mail alerts go out. Please fix this problem.

nh187
Tutor
Tutor

Catty -

I am having the same issue on my end.  I am also having an issue where my library counter stays at zero.  If you look into your devices, does the number ever increase from zero?

Venjax
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue - and it started exactly when everyone else's problem started. Gotta be something on NetGear's end.

I do have the Arlo app installed on multiple devices. I'm going to turn off email alerts on random devices to see if that solves any problems.

But I'm getting the same emails, with same time stamps in batches just like everyone else - it seems like I get any given alert 3 times within hours of each other. The emails will have different time stamps of course, but the alerts will have the same time stamp once you open the emails.

I'll let you know if any of my tests work out - but this is a new problem that just showed up - it was working fine last week.

SimonOldham
Guide
Guide

OK, another piece of info.

I have created an entirely new Mode, and have disabled email notification.  The system is STILL sending email notifications.

So this makes me think it's on the back end at Netgears side.

SimonOldham
Guide
Guide

So, every 2 hours, the system is replaying/resending between 35 & 41 messages.  For the last 3 intervals (1pm today, 3pm, 5pm and now 7pm), it has resent either 39 or 40 messages and then stops.

Cattywumpuss
Guide
Guide

Greetings All. Yes, I don't have any new recordings in the library, depsite getting repeat e-mails all the time. As another user said, despite getting e-mails every hour or so if you open them up the time stamp for the alert is from earlier in the day or the previous day. It is just multiple repeat e-mails for the same old alerts. ARLO / Netgear really needs to get on to this and sort it out.

On a side note, this ARLO / Netgear community web page was not loading properly this morning. Its working now, but was down earlier on.

SimonOldham
Guide
Guide
So, as of about 3 hours ago, my one camera that i have sending email notifications does appear to be functioning correctly.

I am not seeing any repeated/replayed email notifications being received any more.

I am not seeing event counters associated with each camera incrementing correctly though.

So maybe Netgear have done some remedial work in the background?
SimonOldham
Guide
Guide

Aaaand I spoke too soon.  Replay of previous email notifications still occurring.  The volume is down because I had disabled all email notifications approx 24 hours ago.

Since reinstating one Camera to send email event updated, there have been 2 replays of earlier emails.

So we're back at the previous state of still not fixed.

Cattywumpuss
Guide
Guide

Wonderful, glad to know this has been going on for almost a week now with no solution. I have not heard back from Netgear customer service either (I don't count the automatically generated e-mail) which is a bit disappointing. I don't see anything form any Netgear staff on this thread either to say they are looking in to the problem at least.

Sad, I expected better from ARLO / Netgear. Does make me wonder about buying more of their products.

LeandroPascual
Tutor
Tutor

Yesterday my enquire to Customer Support got a response. It was a simple acknowledge of the problem and that they were working on it, but at least I got that response. I have notified them that there are multiple customers (not only me) suffering the problem.

So, I guess we just have to wait. I guess probably they'll contact you, but if they're tracking all of the cases in a single thread/ticket/issue, we might not know anything until it's resolved.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering has identified the cause of this issue and it should now be resolved. Please let me know if you continue to experience this issue.

JamesC