Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
nitramluap
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've just bought this system ($500) and the motion detection is not working on either of the cameras. This is exceptionally disappointing.

I created my own custom Mode in case the default ones ('All Motion On' and 'All Motion Off') were the culprits, with the following settings for each camera:

- Selected Motion Detection for each camera

- Set sensitivity to '1' to make sure it would trigger with pretty much any motion

- Selected the device to record 30 seconds of video & send notifications

I've then selected this mode and NOTHING HAPPENS, even if I wave my entire hand in front of the camera - seriously??

I can select the cameras to run in 'LIVE' mode and manually record video/photos, but 'LIVE' mode appears to disable the motion detection icon. When they're not in 'LIVE' mode, and the motion detection icon (running person) is black, not grey, it fails to record anything, or send any notifications.

One thing I hope might fix it is if the system updates the firmware versions of the cameras and transmitters, but I'm not holding my breath. 

My hardware versions are:

- Base Station v1.3.2078

- Camera One v1.1.2074

- Camera Two v1.2.4941

Annoyingly I can't see any way to FORCE a firmware upgrade so I presume I'm going to have to wait until 3am... sigh. There is nowhere to force an update? Really?

I bought these two cameras as I was interested in an outdoor, wire-free option. I have Nest Cams and Withings Home HD cameras and they all work just fine. Starting to think I should have avoided Netgear... not happy.

Please help, or these things are going back to the shop and I'll be making sure I leave some reviews from my experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nitramluap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Turns out it was just old firmware. Finally managed to force an update by holding RESET for 10 seconds... then received notifications for firmware updates. It shoudn't require such steps for an update but anyway... problem solved.

Now I just need to be able to set motion detection zones. The motion I'm interested in never triggers the sensor, while all the background (and tiny) motion does! Ho hum...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nitramluap
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK... minor update.

It turns out that the sensitivity slider and the icons at either end of it are really opposite to what you'd expect. In the app it shows an icon of a 'running person' to the right (presumably meaning that LOTS of motion is required to trigger...) and a 'stationary person' to the left (presumably suggesting that almost no movement will trigger the movement sensor.

But no... it's the opposite. So a higher number is 'more sensitive' and the icons are meaningless.

HOWEVER, while I'm now receiving push notifications, I'm not receiving email notifications and it is NOT recording ANY video. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

are you sure "send email alert" is checked in the profile you're using.

I see it totally appropriate the higher the number the more sensitive the motion detector is.

nitramluap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Turns out it was just old firmware. Finally managed to force an update by holding RESET for 10 seconds... then received notifications for firmware updates. It shoudn't require such steps for an update but anyway... problem solved.

Now I just need to be able to set motion detection zones. The motion I'm interested in never triggers the sensor, while all the background (and tiny) motion does! Ho hum...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No zones possible with the wireless cameras.  You "zone" by properly positioning and aiming the cameras so you eliminate the background from the view and focus on only the area of interest, withj motion across the FOV.