Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera coverage arc

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is coverage area for an Arlo camera?  I spent the morning staining my deck that is covered by an Arlo camera. When I was working on the part of the deck that's 8-16 feet away, the Arlo camera activated and took my picture. But when I was closer to the house, less than 8 feet from the camera the camera did not detect me. The camera is about 14 feet up on the side of the house and I was in the part of the picture the camera captures, but I did not show up when I was more directly under the camera. What is the actual arc of coverage for activation?.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The original wireless cameras cover 110 degrees while the Pros cover 130 degrees. The PIRs cover the whole scene, too.  14 feet up is a bit far and may lead to an issue of how the motion is seen by the camera.  Motion is best detected, especially if it's slow, side to side, across the FOV.

CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Guru,

Thanks for the reply.

So 14' up is too high, I think I'll remount it about 8'.

I thought higher would give me more coverage, which it does in terms of what the camera captures, but I didn't anticipate the impact of camera activation.

So the 110 degrees is side-to-side; is it also up-and-down?  Creating a "cone" of movement coverage?

So although the camera will record a wider field, the activation is much narrower than the picture coverage if I interpret your answer correctly.  This explains a lot about why my 8 cameras do or do not pickup on movement.

Thanks again.

Chris

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe the 110 degree angle of view is corner to corner, diagonally. The PIR covers the same area, maybe even a bit more. Poor detection is usually an issue of the exact angle of motion, with side to side being best.  Post screenshots for suggestions.