Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kj1971
Tutor
Tutor

Hello all. The available info says you can only stream five cameras at a time through the free Arlo system. I don't stream multiple cameras (and don't use motion detection). Does this mean I can purchase multiple cameras as long as I don't ever try and stream more than 5 at a time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Max of 5 cameras for Basic, FREE...

After that you cannot sync them on the same account unless you upgrade your service level

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bases can handle a max of 15 cameras, but only 5 can be streaming at the same time.

5 cams are free under the Basic service level, for more cameras on the same account there are higher paid service levels for up to 10 and 15

Kj1971
Tutor
Tutor

I think the "streaming at the same time" is what needs clarification (and is still unclear in your reply). If I only stream one camera at a time, how many can I have? Could I have 8 set up and only stream one at a time?

Kj1971
Tutor
Tutor

Also, thank you for your reply. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Max of 5 cameras for Basic, FREE...

After that you cannot sync them on the same account unless you upgrade your service level

Kj1971
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the reply and clarification. The web site language should be changed to reflect this- # of streams at a time doesn't matter, just # of cameras. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

but number of streaming at the same times matter too.

I have 12 cams, if usiing one base would only be able to stream 5 max at same time, add a second base ,you are at 10 max

Kj1971
Tutor
Tutor

Yes- but I stream one camera at a time only- never more than one. So According to the wording of the website, I should be allowed to add infinite number of cameras as long as no more than "five are streaming at the same time" (website wording). The website makes it seem as if it were a bandwidth issue- however, it seems that Netgear is really setting a hardware limit (which is certainly their right to do so). I just wanted to make sure I knew that was the case (six cameras is the perfect # for my situation).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well it is a bandwidth issue and a hardward issue depending on which cameras.

The Q cam can peak at 1.5Mbs... start streaming upload 3-4 and you may see a diff on many cable internet feeds setup

( home wifi feed ) Not a issue on a fios system with 25Mbs up, but alot of people are limited to less than 5Mbs up.

The Arlos that use a base are limited to 5 steaming  ... the limit is based on the hardware in the base for video processing ( with some compression )

( BTW, if your home is armed and someone walks thu it, it is easy to get 3-4 cams streaming upload at the same time )

I know the wording may be off, but the limits are in stone