Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
1nat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello All,

I have purchased a set of 5 Arlo wire-free cameras. Have had them for 6 months+ and used them on the inside of my castle. They have worked wonderfully. Decided it was time to patrol the outer perimeter of my castle. Mounted 3 outside. 2 of the 3 outside are in constant trigger mode with no showing of motion at all in the recording. I have swapped units from the ones inside not triggering unless I walk thru the room to the outside trigger location. Once outside - BAM! constant recordings. I have changed positions (noticed one was catching traffic in street) reset to a lower position. I have lowered the motion detection down to 1% - still constant triggering. 

I am going to try some of the suggetions I have read:

Rebooting base

Reconneting cameras

Reinstalling batteries

If this continues I will have to find another method of security. 

I will report back with update. 

Thanks,

1Nat.

11 REPLIES 11
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

You reset to a lower position, do you mean you remounted at a lower position or aimed the camera itself down more.

kgrier2009
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the exact same issues. I have done all the trouble shooting; reconnect the cameras, moved the cameras, changed out the batteries and I still have 2 out of my 5 cameras go off every 1 to 7 minutes EVERY DAY.. with nothing in the screen. I'm assuming it's from reflections but when I called Arlo support they informed me it should not be from reflection as these are heat-sensitive cameras.. please let me know what you figure out.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

kgrier2009 wrote:
Arlo support they informed me it should not be from reflection as these are heat-sensitive cameras.. please let me know what you figure out.

Well, then they made a mistake...these are NOT heat sensitive cameras... They detect IR ( look up diff between the 2 ) and YES, IR can easily be reflected , esp off of vehicles

IR reflected can easily give a bunch of false triggers...which is why i usu say to cover a smaller area than most do. The PIR device is good to a max of 20ft or so for people, so to cover a farther distance is looking for more false triggers.

Also angle down to avoid roadways and try to make the traffic move across the field of view.

Also , some time you just have to change the sense levels... I have a dupe set of Modes , one with lower sense levels for windy/sunny days and on regular.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had some experience with this and pointing the camera down more or even relocate the camera a bit will help. I do believe infrared can be reflected by various things like leaves, vehicles etc.

1nat
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is no vehicle to reflect from as it is in the garage.

Leaves on the other hand are another thing. Especially when the wind is whipping. The camera doesn't know how to distinguish the difference from a back and fourth motion in the same location or a movement clearly across the screen. 

At this time the camera is located above and facing down. Facing down so much as almost 90 degrees with pavement. Still it registers the grass growing between the cracks!! 

It is quite frustrating listening to my device sound all day when registering false motion.  😞

Will try the possibel work arounds. Otherwise I suggest only indoor usage. 

Thanks,

!Nat.

1nat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Gild rush-

lower position as in pointing down further - - also reset motion sensor to 1%. Still going off constatnly.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Does not sound normal... and  ididn't mean your car was reflecting IR... but maybe ones passing by.

Yes, the IR can reflect off of the leaves too.

But, yours does sound excessive and it is very hard to diagnose over messages like here... you may get better results working directly with a Netgear Tech via the phone ( Contact Support )

( I would have had you swap a couple of cameras , but you tried that already )

Morse is faster than texting!
1nat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I rebooted the system and thought that had fixed the problem, but alas, it only lasted one day. Again the phone is vibrating off of the table top. It is constant - if not one camera all of them. Even the one I switched from out to in and reversed. I have not any motion in the house when I am not present and all day the camera is tripping. This is completly absurd. This system is not what I thought it was cracked up to be. Would not recommend to folks that I know. 

I will give support a try, but I don't expect much from them either.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
At this point, your case is the only way to proceed.
1nat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.

It seems the wind or wind chime or leaves or chipmunks or bees or dragonflys or spiderwebs or .... are too confusing for the camera. Maybe I should just use them on the inside where they are safe and quiet.  😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I don't use audio detection since I have trains in the back yard. Spiders and other guys only provide random and infrequent videos. It may be an issue with your cameras or positioning. Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.