Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
Frustratedjrw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. All good now.

Interestingly, and I don't know how to feed this back, the instructions for synching the cameras make it harder than it actually was for me. The instruction is to hold the synch button down for a count of two seconds - didn't work. However, afetr much gnashing of teeth, I discovered that you need only touch the synch button, and the process started automatically.

I'm  not sure whether this is just my machine, which seems unlikely given mass production, or if the software has improved. Either way, it's something Netgear could make more of...

Thanks again. Kudos given.

buckeyeturbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just as a heads-up to everyone who can't get their base station to connect:

We also experienced a sudden inability for the base station to connect.  I replaced the base station with a new one to no avail.  Being in IT, I ran a few simple monitors and determined that Arlo does not just use HTTP/S.  They also use NTP.  Unfortunately, our ISP had decided to block NTP recently thereby bricking our Arlo base station.  I validated this by trying our base station on a different service provider's line with the same router as well as VPN'ing to my work server with the same router and on the original line.  In both cases the base station worked just fine.

I was able to get around this issue (sort of) since I have a Nighthawk router that has an older firmware version that supports Arlo.  Although that router is unable to properly get time either, at least we can use our Arlo cameras (of course, the timestamps/rules we setup are useless since the router has an incorrect time on it).

Big time fail by Netgear using a protocol that more and more ISPs are blocking.  They could have easily wrapped a call to get the current time in a webservice rather than relying on NTP.  

If you want to find out if your ISP is blocking NTP, just run the Windows time command on a test server as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>w32tm /stripchart /computer:us.pool.ntp.org /dataonly /samples:5

Failing output when connected to an ISP that blocks NTP:

The current time is 10/24/2016 3:23:34 PM.
15:23:34, error: 0x800705B4
15:23:37, error: 0x800705B4
15:23:40, error: 0x800705B4
15:23:43, error: 0x800705B4
15:23:46, error: 0x800705B4

Correct output when connected to an ISP that does not block NPT:

The current time is 10/24/2016 3:28:20 PM.
15:28:20, +01.4175639s
15:28:22, +01.4177815s
15:28:24, +01.4187186s
15:28:26, +01.4186283s
15:28:29, +01.4193174s

Perhaps Netgear can resolve this in a future update.  Of course, for all the people that can't get their base stations to connect, that may be a lost cause since they'll have a much harder time getting said update.
danrs600
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please help. My system worked fine for a few months, but then after switching the isp router off and on, my netgear router has a solid amber power light! No other lights and the factory reset doesn't do anything! Reset and sync for 10seconds and still just the solid amber! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
And a power cycle does the same? An amber power LED is a bad omen. Open a case at https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
Pjk2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Changed internet provider can't get system back on line

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try this sequence:

Power off the modem, router and base. Start them back up in that order, waiting for each one to fully start before doing the next. Once back up, what are the base LEDs showing? Are you online?
dexroy
Aspirant
Aspirant
How long did u hold the two buttons for?
Optmus2201
Aspirant
Aspirant
Xfinity wifi, with home alarm syatem, phones, tablets and laptops ll work fine. For something ght cones off as being simple to set up, is basically a royal pain. Makes wish you had the insight of this knowledge before hand. Performed Master reset, yes held sync and reset button. No joy lights did nothing! Powered down base, disconnected power aupply, & the direct cable to router. Connect cable to router to base. Then connected power supply cable, powered up, low and behold the same thing that's been happen for the last 2 plus hour.=NOTHING! It times out and asks if need support.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You didn't reset since you used the old procedure.  These days you use ONLY the reset button until the LEDs flash amber.

Optmus2201
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am sorry. I should have said I did that too. Yes, I held the reset button in, No joy never went amber, nothing! What other idea might you have?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Sounds like a defective base. Swap at the store or open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom of the desktop version of these pages.
Bfrykberg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok no posts for a year find it hard to believe!! Followed all instructions and the base will not connect to the internet... I have tried the reset pressing the reset and pair button and no reset has happened .. I held it for 20-30 sec .. also I have changed cables and tried different ports... also the base will connect to the internet if I bypass the router all together ... but obviously that's not an option ... any ideas?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Answered in your other plkst.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Post - ARRRRGH!
Bfrykberg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok well that helps with the resetting of the base unit :. Doesn't help the fact that the base will not connect to the internet... is there a specific router that I should purchase? I currently have the router that optimum cable supplies .. sagemcom 5260cv... and the modem is arris tm822
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bfrykberg,

Any router should work as long as the required ports are not blocked.

When you say the base will not connect to the internet, are you indicating that the internet LED never turns solid green?

JamesC

fginsburg301
Aspirant
Aspirant
Try a factory reset first. Since it depends on the firmware version in the base station as to the procedure, try the old method first. Press the reset and Sync buttons at the same time and hold for 10-15 seconds or until the LEDs flash amber
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And if that doesn't work, use the current method - same thing but ONLY the reset button.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I too had the same problem, with refurbished system I bought from Best Buy.  Netgear techies couldn't get it , nor replacement they sent working so they sent another base station.  This one worked fine.  Great quality from the cams.  Not ideal for everybody's needs but for me I'm glad I didn't give up (was tempted to several times). Hang in there.

Willwill
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have different ports on my router and I just switch it to a different port while the power was on and the Ethernet was connected to my base station and it worked
manfredz
Hero
Hero

i spent 2 weeks troubleshooting with netgear (mostly email) and telephone support before netgear concluded the base station was defect. Replacement worked out of the box.  Opening ports, fixed IP, etc were all things we tried.

Jaykg
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had forget my password so I try to reset my base station now it's only going from amber on the power and the sometimes it get green and the internet light go amber and then back to power light amber again my serial number is 4893597EA2854
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The amber power indication is a real issue. It must be green for anything to work. Open a case with support.
aliciakramer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.

I am facing the same problem. This unit worked great out of the box. I had no problems until batteries died. Now I am havng the same problem as everyone else in this thread. I have tried all the resets. Have you found a soluition to this problem? Frustrated. Please advise!

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What are the base LEDs showing?