Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
OOgie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just purchased product from Costco.  Cannot get internet light to even come on "amber"  Tried switching cables, power off and on, hit reset button, hit reset and sync button at same time, checked all WiFI connections and service and they are working on all other devices..  Nothing lights up except power light.

Serial 7BAC51B48946B

Dave

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the [power LED green?  If not, that's the root of the problem.  Reset the base using the reset button until the LEDs flash amber and strat again.  If the power is green, the lack of anything on the Internet LED means there's no connection to the router.  A  bad port on either the router or base can be the issue.  You've already eliminated the bad cable possibility. A lsat possibility is that you've configured the router to allow only specific MAC addresses to connect but that is a relatively unusual step in home networks.

OOgie
Aspirant
Aspirant

The power is on and green.  The internet light will not light.  The LAN port on the router is active as I have checked with another PC.  It is not the cable and it is not the port on the router.  I have reset, and synced and reset and sync.  The base station will not even light amber.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That implies that either the cable is bad or one of the ports on either the base or router is faulty. Since you've apparently tested the router port and cable, the remaining possibility is the base.  You can either swap at the store or open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.  It's a hardware fault.

rcottrell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where it doesn't work: workplace environment, multiple switches, access points, and wall conections; I do not have the option of connecting directly to the router, it is also too far away from the target location for the cameras to work.

Internet LED is amber. Same ethernet cable connected to a computer has no issues connecting to the internet. Sometimes it is green, but it still doesn't say it's connected.

Factory reset: attempted and completed, no change.

Base station works fine outside of the work environment for connection purposes.

Have tried IP scanning my network: the base station does not get located that I have been able to see.

Spoke to Arlo support: he was less than useful, considering he kept telling me to use a pen to reset the base station instead of the paper clip I was using). They could not determine the problem, had me take it back to Best Buy for a replacement. Replacement does the exact same thing.

Determined that NTP is enabled on my internet conenction.

I have tried everything in this forum and have no come up with a solution to this problem.

Internet works fine through the ethernet ports I am using. The ethernet cable works just fine. The base station works outside of this current environment.

So please explain why your product is currently useless to me.

Summation: this product has an awful setup because of this cloud-based system that Netgear is insisting on using. Why should I connect to the cloud to access a system that is internally connected to my network? Why can't I just put this thing on a self-contained network and connect to it? I picked Arlo because the design is nice, I need the cameras as they are (i.e., magnetic, as I work in an environment that is not good to have things nailed to the walls if someone wants to grab them and rip them down).

This is my problem with cloud-based apps. If I had an IP address to connect to internally instead of having to go through the internet to get back to the device sitting on my desk, I wouldn't be having an issue.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

my first guess would be that your network firewall is blocking ports needed.  This is suggested by the fact that the arlo system works at your home where you have a much less complex network as well as the fact that you mention the internet light on the base station staying amber.

rcottrell
Aspirant
Aspirant
OOgie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Returning unit to store.  Very disappointed.  A security camera that fails on start up installation is not a security camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Ports 80, 123 and 443 to arlo.netgear.com need to be open.
banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

The first thing I did to solve this problem was make sure my cameras did not have any batteries in them.Then reset the base station by hitting the RESET button NEXT to the off switch. Once the base station was done resetting, then place the batteries in the Arlo cameras and sync them, that is it, you are done, dudes and dudettes.

ricekrispytreat
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have been dealing with this issue for two weeks. The left and right lights on the base are green, and the center light is a solid amber. I have reset the base, and even factory reset my router. Nothing helped.

Fed up with my slow internet, I called Xfinity and upgraded my internet. Arlo has been working problem free since I upgraded and did a power cycle on the base.

Could all of these issues be caused by our ISP? I'm curious?
banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

A slow internet can cause live stream problems,my oh want a fast connection

SDEVB
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base station worked fine (one year ago) until we moved and tried to install at another address using a new router (xfinity).  I've tried all four Ethernet ports, resetting and powering down several times.  I believe it is a flawed base station that is not able to work after restarting.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs showing?  When you say "reset", do you mean the reset button?  Did you also remove all devices from Settings, My Devices which is needed with a reset?

DBath
Aspirant
Aspirant

When will Arlo provide a solution to the problem of the new firmware's disconnecting the base station when it is evidently connected to the Internet but indicates that it is off-line?  As the situation stands, the VBM3000 and, consequently the entire Arlo system is unuseable.

banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would reset the whole base station, by hitting the reset button in the back with something skinny enough to push it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you do this, also remove all devices in Settings, My Devices.

Grommitdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same. Mine worked fine for months. Changed batteries in cameras and now this piece of junk won't connect to the internet.
banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem TWICE, log into your Arlo back office and

(1) Turn off all the Cameras

(2) Remove all the Cameras

(3) Remove the Base Station

(4) Add the Base Station again

(5) Sync All your Cameras again.

It sucks, but it works.

Grommitdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. That is basically what I had to do, with the exception that I also had to perform the factory reset. Which did NOT involve pressing the sync button while depressing the reset button with a paperclip (as indicated in troubleshooting) I only pressed the reset button. The thing is, I did this procedure about 5 times, and on the 6th time it finally reset. WTF?! AND.... My system had worked fine for a long time, and the initial set-up (the first time I unboxed it) went smoothly, so I'm really not sure why it would require such an intensive process after only changing batteries. Very frustating and doesn't lend to a lot of confidence that it's going to function as it should in a few months when I have to change batteries again.

Willie1904
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base station will not connect to internet the led will come on

banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem TWICE, log into your Arlo back office and

(1) Turn off all the Cameras

(2) Remove all the Cameras

(3) Remove the Base Station

(4) Add the Base Station again

(5) Sync All your Cameras again.

It sucks, but it works.

Roamee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Roamee
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base station will not connect to internet, it has been working for the past year, just recently when turned on the internet light stays amber even though the internet us working ok any suggestions for a permanent fix ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Power cycle the base.  Try a different cable as well as a different port on the router. The amber LED indicates it has connection to the router but not the servers.  Something is blocking access.  Have any settings been changed on the router?  Is the router yours or the ISP's? Somtimes ISP-owned routers have caused issues until the ISP makes changes.  They need to have ports 80, 123 and 443 open to arlo.netgear.com. Who is your ISP?

You could try taking the base to a friend's house and plug it in to see if the same thing happens.  If so, it may well be a base problem that only opening a case with support can solve.