Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Same thing on both WiFi and cell service?  Have you tried a browser on a computer? 3 green LEDs means at least one camera is synced so the system appears to be working - it's something about your phone that would likely be the issue.  You can try restarting the phone and reinstall the app.

Russilino1
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Russilino1,

Can you provide more details about the issue you are experiencing? What LED behaviors do you see on your base station?

JamesC

Russilino1
Aspirant
Aspirant

base station will not connect to internet. the power light is green and the one next to it is blinking green, nothing elese

Russilino1
Aspirant
Aspirant

only one light blinking

Russilino1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am very disappointed that this equipment does not work I’m sorry I spent all the money I did to purchase it I can assure you that I will let all my friends know not to buy this product

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Russilino1,

A blinking green internet LED (center LED) indicates the base station is connected to the internet. Are you seeing an error message that is indicating the base station is offline? What are you seeing that tells you there is an issue?

JamesC

Russilino1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting an error message that tells me that the unit is off-line

Russilino1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Horsefly
Tutor
Tutor

Just bought the Arlo Pro 3 camera set at Costco on Black Friday. Seemed like a good deal, but right now I'm not so sure....

I hooked up the base station to an open port on my router, which is a NetGear Nighthawk X6 R8000. I powered it up and it went through the boot up process. After some time, what looks like the power light turns solid green, and the second light (Internet?) stays yellow. I checked the device list for my router, and the VMB4000 shows up. Obviously I can't proceed with connecting cameras.

After reading much / most of this thread, I tried several things. I powered the base down and back up, and I tried to use a paperclip to do a reset of the base station. [I noted that some people here talk about a reset button on the back, but mine is like others and only has a reset pin-hole.]  Nothing has seemed to help.

My home's internal IP address base is 10.10.10.X, rather than one of the other standards like 192.168.X.X. I'm hoping that doesn't cause the problem. I would also hope that the Arlo base should work well with my Netgear router, but maybe there is an issue there.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Don't really want to fight the holiday crowds to take this back.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There was a server issue that seems to have been resolved now. Try power cycling the base and see if the Internet LED turns green.

bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

Same here.  Black Friday sale from Best Buy.  Tried everything from connecting directly to the modem, switching cables, ports, and you name it.  Problem with most of the recommendations from Arlo are things that would only account for 1% failure.  Your Port selection (443 / 80) are already set correctly on your router when you by it.  The other suggestions are for people who change their router because advanced networking services.  Most normal people would not be able to dig deep into the router settings to check the DHCP/client list.  Bye the way, what is the ARLO client name?  I don't know how they check (quality control) these but connecting to the wireless router is not the same as connecting to the internet.  Going to try another one and keep you posted.

Horsefly
Tutor
Tutor

Power-cycling the base station didn't seem to help, but your suggestion brings up more questions for me.  Are you saying that the Internet light being amber is not really about the connection to the Internet, but rather about the connection to the Netgear servers?  And if the Netgear servers go down somewhat frequently (and this thread seems to suggest they do), are you saying that the only way to get my base station reconnected is cycle it's power?!  This doesn't seem like a good way for things to work. What if I'm gone for two months and hoping to use Arlo to monitor things. If the Netgear servers go down, am I out of luck until I get home to power cycle the base station?

calvinyhe
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had tried both reset button and sync. But base station still can’t connect internet. And my serial number is 48946C70A4939. Thanks
Streak2
Master Master
Master

The fix of the earlier outage seems to be taking some time to roll out to everyone. 

It should not be necessary to reset the base, I did not have to. However so when nothing else works a reset or restart would be advised.

For now I would wait a white for the Netgear servers to stabilize.  1000s of devices around the world are all trying to connect at the same time. 

ShaunClair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same as everyoine else today. I bought the Tripple Camera pack from Costco and spent the last 5 hours trying to set it up. F*c4 you ARLO. You need to get your things right before you sell your product. After hours of going into my router and changing ports, dropping my firewall and even buying a different router your gonna tell me its on your side? Its a problem with your servers? Worst $500 Ive ever spent. Let me know when you get you sh#t together.

EpicCel
Tutor
Tutor

This thread has been live since 2015.  We are now in Nov 2017 and I just got (today) a brand new Arlo.  My 1st actually. I would expect such problems to be fixed by now!  

People are buying this as a security device.  If the service is down because 1000s of devices are connecting at the same time is not my idea of a secure solution.

Consumer expect their security product to work all the time.

Kcasey
Aspirant
Aspirant

My daughter purchased this 3 months ago and never had a problem. I purchased this today and and can't get the internet light to turn green. Very disappointing to see that so many others have had the same issue for two years at least! I've waited for it to be on sale at Costco and it won't work.  I've read and done everything. Reset tp-link router, traded where the internet plugs into, reset base. The base reset button only worked once for me. When I started this post it wanted to know what model device I had. It is a VMB4000 wireless but it wouldn't let me select that option. Any ideas if it the router. Thank you

LGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I literally just bought the Arlo Pro security camera system (4 Cameras and base station).

It worked for a whooping 10 minutes to only go off line once I synced the cameras. I have read many reviews on trouble shooting to no avail. I have even switched out ethernet cords to see if the cord was defective (but no that isnt the issues). Any last attempts before I return this product and take to social media to review my expierence?

Brianflys
Guide
Guide

I'm having the same issue since the service went out earlier today.  I can log back in now but have not been able to get the base to connect with the internet.  Tried the router steps even put the base into DMZ, not still only get the yellow light.

Was working fine before the outage.  I'm going to be very upset if I have to do a hard reset and resync every camera.  They are not easily accessible!  

Hey Netgear, where is the fix!!!!!!!!!

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The entire Arlo service is intermittent right now (since this morning).  I don't suggest trying to use the setup instructions until the service is stable again.  I just tried to do a factory reset on one of my Arlo Q cameras and it ended up getting stuck halfway through the process.

redeyeken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried everythin this Black Friday.   Lost my security.  Can't even get i touch with support. 

bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

Here is something to put many of your minds at ease.  If you have have a wireless router that has ports on the back and one is connected to your desktop - and you can surf the web - then the problem is with Arlo.  Same thing if you hardwired your xbox to the wireless router (ie. used LAN cable instead of wireless), if you can play xbox, it is not your router, it is Arlos.  Sure, you could have a bad port on the back of the wireless router but change to the one to the left or right and you still get that amber light, that means that the base station is connected to the router but not the internet (green light).  1 in a 100 ethernet cables go bad so again, this is a plug and play device.  Please don't lose your sannity when it does not connect.

Brianflys
Guide
Guide

Thanks! I'll hold off on doing any more troubleshooting.  Wish Netgear sent out some sort of alert.  They do have our d@mn email addresses.

So much for security.  Guess I shouldn't have bought the cheap system...

Wait, this system is expensive!  Grr.

LGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried 4 different ethernet cables I have... (All New) ;-/