Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
adz82
Tutor
Tutor
Mine works on Telstra.
nate1609
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am curious, what ISP are people with that are having the problems? I'm on iiNet and all my problems started this morning.

I am however switching to Telstra, after this load of rubbish
nate1609
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just got this reply from tech support,

We are receiving some minor issues with IINET using our Arlo system. We are diligently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Due to the nature of this matter, we don't have an estimate as to when we will have a resolution. We will continue to provide updates as we work through the issue. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding.

After reading that I am assuming it's iiNet and internode customers that are affected, glad I am moving carriers
DarrenM
Sage
Sage

Hello all

We are aware of the issues with IINET customers causing ARLO base stations to go offline and we are currently investigating this issue. We have noticed that these cases started to appear after IINET pushed new Firmware to their modems. We may be contacting IINET customers using ARLO here in the community to gather some more information on the situation.

Thanks 

DarrenM

ARLO Team 

adz82
Tutor
Tutor
Try Internode using a Netgear modem, yet Netgear on Telstra it works.
mboucher87
Guide
Guide

I also received the message from Arlo about the issue starting after an iiNet firmware rollout. I subsequently downgraded the firmware to the previous version but Arlo still doesn't work.  I do note however that when downloading the previous version, all firmware versions on the iiNet site show last modified dates of within the last week which is a bit strange... surely they haven't modified previous versions of their firmware as well as releasing a new one, that would just be plain stupid?!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It has come to our attention that iiNET has made some changes to their network devices. Customers have begun informing us that their Arlo systems once again are working as intended. Your patience during this process has been appreciated.

JamesC

adz82
Tutor
Tutor
X2 for Internode
Scott20298
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo started working again today after an iinet guy on whirlpool forum made some changes the other day.

The most disappointing part of this whole experience was the fact that my cams don't have a local mode. Maybe a firmware tweak to ensure that ISP changes don't completely render the system useless would be a good improvement.

You have a USB slot for storage and the cams already have their own router, would this be worth considering?
Nickpng
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Scott20298 - what was the update that iinet made for you as my Arlo still isn't working. 

After contacting iiNet they have opted to send me a new Modem to see if it resolves the issue but that's yet to be proven.

Nickpng
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC - Hi James, are you aware of what the changes are from iiNet and how that could be applied to my BOB2 router to see if helps resolve the issue?

Scott20298
Aspirant
Aspirant
Today try a full power cycle. All off then on from NBN/ADSL box back to Arlo
Rocky-1
Guide
Guide
All back on line here , had trouble with one camera syncing but came good after a few attempts , problem was changes to the iinet network , not Arlo (phew )
BlackShadowMech
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo, arlo, arlo or should I say ****gear,

First time contributor but medium term HIGHLY invested user in your product. 

Let's set the scene:

So far, $3000+ dollars spent on your product in the last month including 3 Base stations and 12 cameras at three separate locations. 

Also an Elite membership holder as the Basic or Premier plan only allows for one base unit which didn't account for **** in the past few weeks. 

BTW nice job only allowing for read only access to this community for the last few days while your so called techs attempted to fix the internode issue. It gives me some idea how much you value your customers when you shut an information site down and fail to keep customers informed of your attempts to fix the IInet/Internode issue. Ever heard of sending an email to members of the forum to keep us up to speed of your developments. Your tech team should also have my personal mobile that they have failed to contact after I hesitantly called you tech support number last Saturday.

Additionally it's an awesome feeling to call your support team on (+61) 285 992 198 and get a 'This number is disconnected' recording. My call to 1300 361 254 was redirected to your level 1 call centre in the Phillipines.

Enough said so lets commence with the issue at hand:

My issue started on Saturday 11 July at around 2200 when the final images were captured form my 7 camera system in Brisbane which is connected through internode. The base displayed the as previously referred to amber light and I spent the better part of the next day trying to work out why it was no longer working after been running well from the initial setup for a week.

My solution was to take the base and a couple of cameras with me on my Mon-Fri journey to my workplace 3 hours from Brisbane. In this location I have another arlo base and a single camera monitoring my room. When I swapped out the base with the one from Brisbane and the two cameras that I brought with me it worked and I had a solid green light for the internet alongside the power and cameras led's. Problem solved so I thought.

So with the Mon-Fri QLD Country basestation + single camera along for additional fault finding I returned to Brisbane last Saturday and instantly hooked it up only to find both Bases at the Brisbane address were displaying the amber light. This led me to remove my Netgear R8000 router from the network which it was connected to and directly plug into the Netgear DGN3700 wifirouter ethernet port. Again an amber light for both.

It was at this time I had exhausted my troubleshooting methods and was additionally confused by the fact that the third base with four cameras in Melbourne had been running without issues the whole time on my arlo account.

So reluctantly I decided to call the Arlo contact us number to find as mentioned a disconnected number on the weekend but the 1300 after 30mins on hold success with the cluey personnel at level 1 netgear tech support. After another 15mins trying to explain the issue to an absolute MORON named Hannah (so called Expert ID# 46313 [I pity anyone who ever talks to her again]) she transferred me to an experienced arlo expert named Miriam (another Expert, ID# 46504). So after 1 hour and 13 minutes (see phone screenshot),

2015-07-18 09.02.07.png

I commenced to communicate my issue with Miriam (also in the Phillipines). Whilst on the phone to her, she seemed to have no clue also, I searched the arlo community to find this discussion and after about 8 pages struck gold with the explanation that Arlo was having issues with Internode/IInet and when I informed Miriam she confirm after obviously reading the same post that this was the case and could not give a resolution date/time or connect me with the tech support tem to discuss the fault finding that I had performed as this was an internal number and I obviously had nothing of interest for them.......aaarrrggh. So the call finally ended with her supervisor who failed to identify her expert ID, Kath (obviously not an expert) said someone would contact me personally with an update on Monday morning. As of today this has not yet occurred and after reviewing the site the last few days noticed it was in lockdown until today for any additional input which commenced with JamesC. BTW the call ended after 1 hour and 39mins (see next pic).

Pic failed to upload (might be an issue you guy's might have to look into)

Not much time wasted at all on this product and it's so called Elite membership. So almost two weeks on I still do not have a functioning security camera system in Brisbane and god knows what is going on there, as I sure don't, three hours away at my Mon-Fri residence.

Thank **** that nothing is wrong with the Melbourne address as this would also involve a return flight to fix the issue. Luckily both Melbourne and the QLD country sites are both with Telstra and soon to be now Brisbane, because of Arlo's failure to fix the IInet/Internode issue.

It's lucky I wasn't fighting a war overseas for this great country, like I have in the past, and this issue came up then as I would have had nooooo way of resolving it. Doesn't instil much confidence in you product....Does it?

Happy to talk via PM anytime.

BlackShadowMech out!!

P.S. BTW you may want to inform Arlo customers that their arlo passwords are linked to their mynetgear passwords so when your playing with your mynetgear account it changes the arlo password as well.....was news to me in my troubleshooting and luckily didn't create too much drama when I changed nynetgear for my modem/router and arlo subsequently failed to login. Just another thought!

nate1609
Apprentice
Apprentice
My system came back up 2 days ago and has been running perfect again.

On the whirlpool forums an iinet rep finally paid attention to all the complaints... the rep changed some settings on iinet's end and it all started working again. Was an absolute joke though seeming nobody knew anything or did anything till someone read the whirlpool forums...

I am shifting my services back to a more reliable provider as a result of this mess
Nickpng
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Scott20298 -Thanks Scott. Power cycled the NBN and router and the Arlo Base station is now able to connect to the internet and I've resynced all my cameras. Problem now seems to be streaming from the cameras. So still got issues 😞

Nickpng
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Rocky-1 - Base station is working again and cameras re-synced but can't stream video from the app on iPad and iPhone

Nickpng
Apprentice
Apprentice

@nate1609 - Base station working again after full power cycle (turning NBN and iiNet routers off and on again). Re synced cameras but can't stream video 😞

adz82
Tutor
Tutor

Mine is the opposite.... I can stream from mobile device not from web login. 

nate1609
Apprentice
Apprentice
My system is working as it was before iinet did something. It streams fine to all devices and i have had no further issues... factory reset is the only thing that i can suggest for people still having issues
BlackShadowMech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm happy for you but it's not much good when you're in a totally different location and you expect this expensive security system to work without issue. Maybe the Swann hard drive option would have been more worthwhile at least it would have kept recording. Happy to be corrected or refunded if you think it's required Mister Moderator. Who knows I might even get a response sometime soon.

BlackShadowMech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was very peeved after recieving an email today that my ticket from last week was due to be closed in three days despite waiting all week for a return call and apology from Arlo Australia (btw their number in Sydney is still disconnected). 

I called arlo's (aka netgear)1300 number and after intially speaking to Arlene (Expert ID# 46128 -She is an expert in training and was very helpful) finally got through to Alex (a definate arlo guru) from lvl 2 arlo support in the Phillipines and proceeded to spend the next hour discussing all the issues and how they could have been better resolved....including emailing suspected customers with tech failures promptly, not just advertising and arlo tips (this would have saved me a week pulling apart 2 seperate sytems in different locations only to find the Arlo amber light issue was internode/iinets DDOS attack the 11 Jul 15 which caused them to put a big hammer to their network killing all things arlo in the process for the next week and a half.

Happy to now be with Telstra after 11 years with internode as I think both Arlo and internode/iinet could have handled things better and next time it occurs I know TELSTRA and ARLO will be all over the fixes....RIGHT!!!!

nate1609
Apprentice
Apprentice

Totally agree with you BlackShadowMech.

I just shifted my internet back to telstra after being with iinet for a period of time. The way iinet dealt with this rubbish, in my opinion was absolute crap!

I called iinet on 6 different occasions, only to be told its being dealt with, i emailed iinet about 12 times, and opened that amount of support tickets, and NOT ONE of those tickets were ever answered(they were still open when i closed my account).

IINET/INTERNODE are a joke, and i will NEVER have any of my services with them again..... Telstra may cost a little more, but its worth it in my opinion for a well supported network that is constant

manilaBoy
Guide
Guide

my system is running ok now, a bit more feed back at the point of time would have been a goof idea, i  will be changing over to Telstra soon, had enough with iinet, and its slow NBN.

Nickpng
Apprentice
Apprentice
My system is back to normal. iiNet sent me a replacement modem and JBHiFi replaced my base station. It seemed the issue was a combination of a ISP setting and potentially a faulty base station. Very pleased with the outcome.