Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery deplete faster

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
DaveSeah
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of the cameras' battery is always depleting faster than the other.

It will only last for few days, less than a week.

Both cameras' battery are changed at the same time.

Arlo team pls advice.

14 REPLIES 14
manfredz
Hero
Hero

swap out the two cams and see if the depletion stays with location or cam.

The most common cause of faster unexplained depletion is poor wifi signal between cam and base station, battery depleting as the cam continually tries to stay linked to the base station

DaveSeah
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice.

Had tried. 

Placed both cameras at the same location. Still that one camera depletes faster and real fast. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

clean the battery contacts. And when putting in cam dont push down but let closing the battery door seat them.

The 4 batteries are actually 2x2 parallel sets, so if in your case one battery isn't making proper contact, the remaing two would be only ones working so would deplete faster

DaveSeah
Aspirant
Aspirant

The battery issue still unsolved.

Adding to this, the camera will go offline often. Meaning my app will show that camera to be offline.

Anyone pls help me..

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DaveSeah,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

drtank
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem and have spent a fortune on replacing batteries for this one Arlo camera.  Calling support does not help because the tech always has me replace the batteries and, of course, the camera works for a couple of days and the tech thinks he has solved the problem.  But the problem remains - rapid depletion of the batteries.  Have tried every possible solution and wish Arlo would just replace the defective camera with one that is functional.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

drtank,

Have you tried swapping locations with a camera that is behaving normally to see if there is a problem at the cameras location that is causing the battery drain or if the issue follows the camera?

JamesC

drtank
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, James.

I am trying your suggestion right now.  A half hour ago I replaced the depleted batteries with new ones and located the camera 20 feet  closer to the access point.  I’ll let you know how the experiment goes.  In all candor, though, I think the problem is a less-than-standard-quality, or defective, Arlo camera, because the camera worked fine in its original location for several weeks and then just started eating batteries and dying every 2 or 3 days.  The other camera that was paired with it in the kit is starting to do the same thing.  These two are not nearly as reliable and trouble-free as the original three Arlo cameras that I purchased about two and a half years ago.  Those gems are still rolling along with only infrequent battery changes needed – and two of the three are located farther from the  access point than the two new ones.

I appreciate your help.

drtank

drtank
Aspirant
Aspirant

Following up on my earlier response to James:  I changed the location of the camera after installing the sixth set of fresh batteries in the last three months or so.  The camera worked for about a day and then began consistently displaying "not connected to the internet" messages, even as my other Arlo cameras of the same model were working fine.  I then brought the problem camera into my house and placed it within seven feet of the access point.  Still, it was displaying a not-connected-to-the-internet message.  About three days later, its new batteries were completely drained.  This is a defective Arlo camera.  The only question that remains is whether Netgear will perform on its advertised warranty.

cam33
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same issue! It happened every few weeks and get back to normal without doing anything. My router is Netgear too. it is impossible because compatibility etc. Usually there is new update for the app this issue pops up. Deftly on Netgear side need debugging!!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or you need to open a case with support. If it's a hardware issue, you can't solve it by posting here. Use the 1 year warranty.

drtank
Aspirant
Aspirant

Following up in conversation with James, I was not able to solve problem through attempting all humanly conceivable tactics, most at least 2 or 3 times.  I did chat online with a helpful Netgear tech, and he put me through some exercises with the camera again.  Finally, he agreed to replace the defective camera.  I followed the e-mailed  instructions to initiate the RMA process, and the replacement camera arrived today.  I will be sending the defective unit to Netgear on Monday.  I have not tested the replacement camera yet but have no reason to doubt that it will work satistactorily, as most Netgear products do, most of the time.  Thank you for your kind suggestions and interest in my problem with the Arlo device.

cam33
Tutor
Tutor
It happened after mid Mar after I deleted all cameras from system, reinstall like new, new batteries - being good only for 1 DAY! I have 3 Arlo wireless and 2 Pro. The one the battery of which drains super fast is put next to the base station (pls don’t tell me it is put too far etc - only within 2 meters!!) After I delete and resyn I had to spend an hour to key in rules for the mode - don’t tell me that is fun!! After all these the thing “is” good but only for 1 DAY one camera reports “offline” as battery flat and the one play a role of trigger (I put behind the door, facing the ground so any one comes in it is up, no mistake - don’t tell me it could be wrong position, direct sun, tree moving, people walking - I said I am 100% sure only a live man can trigger that stuff, simple, no fuss! ) Now it does trigger but no alarm sent out and no recording! How do I know? I simply test it at night, walk in from that door, I see all cameras are red but nothing comes to my phone. When it was back to 2016 only Arlo Wireless, no pro no pro2, how reliable Arlo was! Never had an issue to check if it works and only replace battery every 5 mo on standard use. Back to today Arlo has more new stuffs, but the thing is like crap. I didn’t turn on any alarm and it tells me battery out after 1 day. Okay Arlo you should simply say it is time to upgrade and bin the wireless go pro or pro2. Yes after 2 years people bin iphone 6 for 8, if people don’t, Apple die. So I reckon same for Arlo, kill wireless or at least making it hard to use or not affordable (because battery) or less reliable (you feel not safe as either it doesn’t trigger or doesn’t alarm) we have to move to “pros” is it your logic Arlo? Don’t try to explain, try to trouble shoot or try anything else but if you feel I am wrong, let it work and prove I am mistake, simple! It wastes my time every night I have to get up to check cameras before sleep - poor users experience you lose the point, simple!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cam33,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC