Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras Keep going offline

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

I'm getting sick of this and about to return this system. The cameras go offline. i remove the batteries, do through the reset mode everyday.  i get one camera back working and the other goes offline. This is not a very reliable security system.  what to do now?

17 REPLIES 17
Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

I see this way too often.

Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

My Arlo cameras are very unreliable. I’ve tried taking the batteries out and resetting. I have to do this every day.  The battery strength is showing at 80%. When I get one camera working the next one goes down. Where do I need to send this back for a refund?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Leatherneck,

It sounds like the cameras are struggling to maintain a connection with the base station. This could be due to interference or range. How far from the base station are the cameras?

You could try relocating the base station closer to the cameras, to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the response. One camera is fifty feet, the second camera is thirty feet, and the third is about fifteen feet away.  I live in a small brick house and didn’t think distance would be an issue. Do you think a wifi booster or range extender would help?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Leatherneck,

Some users have had success with connecting the base station via ethernet to an extender to locate the base closer to their cameras. This could work if you are unable to locate the base station closer to the cameras while it is still connected to your router. Take a look here for more information: How can I increase the range of my Arlo Smart Home Security system?

The first thing I would suggest is elevate the base station and try to get it as far away from other wireless devices as you can to help eliminate possible interference. Then test again to see if you experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

Now these POS cameras are not recording. It seems that I'm always restarting and resetting this bleeping things.

ROCMiller
Initiate
Initiate

Just curious, do you have the cameras integrated with anything else ie. Smartthings, or home automation?

I only ask, because I've been working on troubleshooting a few camera's that continued to go offline constantly. I had them integrated into my home automation system (Smartthings). When I removed the instances of Arlo from the ST environment the cameras all seemed to come online with no drops. I'm not saying this is your case, but curious as the "offline" issues seem to be fairly abundant. 

Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

I do not have any other smart devices in the house except for iphones.

Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

Absolutely Worthless! Now it's time to change the batteries in only one camera and the others are at 80%. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Leatherneck,

What is the signal strength for the camera that needs new batteries? How many recordings and live stream usage has that camera seen?

JamesC

Leatherneck
Guide
Guide

The signal strength is about 50% and the camera is appx 30 feet away from the base. It will record about the same amount of videos as the others, when they do record. Something is definitely draing the batteries.  I've replced the batteries iin one of the other cameras last week and it is already at 22%. Can cold weather play a part in this? It has not got over freezing here for a week.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Leatherneck,

Try swapping one of your cameras that is behaving as expected with the problem camera. This will help isolate the issue to the camera or the location.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 4 cameras that range from 10-40 feet away from the base, all outdoors in subfreezing temps. None have displayed rapid battery drain although all are rarely recording. Temps do make a difference but shouldn't be drastic. These are all using rechargeable batteries so don't last as long as the OEM style batteries. I'd have to suspect either lots of recording and live viewing and/or some sort of interference with the signal, whether due to blockage or 2.4GHz wireless interference.

Unclekeg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Iphones are far from smart devices. 🤣😂😁
nhuto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello

I have 5 Arlo Wire free cameras, they'd been working fine for a year and a half until 10 days ago. One camera went offline and I had to take it down and remove the batteries, put them back in and camera worked for another 9 days and went offline again today. This camera is about 25 ft from the base station. Not sure if this has anything to do with camera being offline but I did switch to a new NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 router.  After I got my new router set up two weeks ago I plugged in my base station and to my suprise all cameras went online and worked. I thought I had to re-sync all of them. Do I need to remove this camrea from my system and re-sync it? First time I just needed to remove the battery, put them back in and the camera went online again.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nhuto,

It sounds like there is a connection issue between the base station and the camera, you might try relocating the camera or the base station so that they are closer together to see if you still experience the issue.

JamesC

nhuto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

The distance between the trouble camera and the base station was not changed, I never had range issue with any of my cameras. All 5 were rock solid until 10 days ago when this one went offline and needed to restart. The only change was the new router which is much more superior than the old one I had. I know WIFI signal has nothing to do since the base station is connected to the router via ethernet cable.