Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras Offline

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Morugs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our cameras are used in a warehouse/flex space (officespace and the rest is warehouse space - please refer to my diagram). We have them on a schedule and they do activate when armed but the two cameras inside the warehouse always go offline.

Cam 1: directly outside the main entrance, 7 ft high.

Cam 2: Above roll up door, 15 ft high

Cam 3: It has always been in the same general area ranging from 7 ft to 15 ft high - goes offline in every spot.

Cam 4: Has also been in the same general area and couple feet further back, 13 ft to 15 ft - goes offline in every spot.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution? Please help!

camera diagram.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, my assumption was wrong. You should swap cameras between working and non-working cameras. That would help define that it's a location issue, which I now suspect it is. 

300 feet is a "perfect world" scenario. In a residential setting, 50-100 feet is more typical. In your more industrial setting, the building construction is likely the cause although 2.4GHz interference is possible. Metal in the walls (ductwork, structural beams, etc.) will simply block the signal while 2.4GHz interference can be due to any wireless device such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.

A possible solution could be to use a second base for those 2 problematic cameras so they are closer and have no or fewer obstructions in the signal path.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By "offline in every spot", I'm assuming that you mean you've moved the cameras around to eliminate the possibility that the location is the problem.

About the only other thing to try is to remove the affected cameras from Settings, My Devices and resync. Check the firmware versions to make sure they're up to date.

Morugs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, we have moved the cameras around and they've had the same problem in every place.

We have removed the cameras and resynced them in the past but its always the same problem. The firmware is up to date and we have also rotated the cameras around so we know its not faulty cameras. We just know that its always when the cameras are indoors that we have this issue. I've read that they can be up to 300 ft away from the home base before you start having connectivity issues but they are defnitely not more than 300 ft away.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, my assumption was wrong. You should swap cameras between working and non-working cameras. That would help define that it's a location issue, which I now suspect it is. 

300 feet is a "perfect world" scenario. In a residential setting, 50-100 feet is more typical. In your more industrial setting, the building construction is likely the cause although 2.4GHz interference is possible. Metal in the walls (ductwork, structural beams, etc.) will simply block the signal while 2.4GHz interference can be due to any wireless device such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.

A possible solution could be to use a second base for those 2 problematic cameras so they are closer and have no or fewer obstructions in the signal path.