Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Got something weird.  My one camera I have is so the feild of view is stopping at the sidewalk.  When cars drive by that are 10-15 feed out of the feild of view my camera is still tripping for motion.  I am just confused why my camera is picking up something that is not in view.  

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The motion detector is a PIR sensor. We have no control over the size of the detection area. Especially if you used the Zoom feature to reduce the area visible, it will definitely still be triggered by motion outside of the field of view.

The only exception is the Arlo Pro 2 under constant AC power - this can have motion zones.

Unfortunately, you'll need to experiment with the position of your camera to ensure you capture everything you want and avoid false activations that you don't want

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

I am not zooming.  I am zoomed fully out.  So does the PIR sensor work farther out then what is veiwable to the human eye?  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Effectively, yes. Large vehicles especially trucks, reflect a huge amount of IR to the camera sensor and trigger a recording where a smaller vehicle and definitely a person would not. So yes, occasionally you'll have triggers outside the field of view but not normally by a huge amount

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

OK.  I do notice it does seem to be larger vehicles tripping it.  Guess they are tossing a lot of IR.  Guess I need to tweek the camera a little more.