Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Oscar3
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can I add a push notification number for a second Iphone for an authorized user (my wife)?  I see where you can change or add email notifications but I haven't been able to change or add push notifications. 

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oscar3,

You would need to set up a shared access account using the Grant Access feature. For more information on how this is done, take a look here: How do I add friends to my Arlo account?

JamesC

Oscar3
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC.

Thank you for your response.  I have already set up a shared access account and she has been "Granted administrative rights".  The problem I'm having is I cannot find where I would go to change (or add) the push notification number on the account. I can change the email notification, but not the push notification number.

Oscar3

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Oscar,

There is no push notification number.

If you set up the push notifications using the master account (yours) then your wife will also get the notifications providing she has the Arlo app installed.

In fact your phone can even be in airplane mode with just wifi activated and you will still get the notification.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Also, she has to be logged into the app to receive push notifications. Don't specifically log out, just use home or swipe.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I have not tested this on IOS but on the Android app you do not need to be logged in to receive alerts.

The app just needs to be running. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You do need to be logged in, AFAIK. If you log out, the app isn't connected to your account so notifications can't be received.
Streak2
Master Master
Master

As I said, this may be the case with IOS but it's not the case with Android. I do test these things before posting.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Streak2, jguerdat

I'm not sure if there is some miscommunication here but being logged in to the Arlo mobile app is a requirement for receiving push notifications (both iOS and Android).

Streak2, in what scenario were you able to receive a push notification without being logged in to the app?

JamesC

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Hi @JamesC

I login using the web gui and set notifications on.

If I am currently logged in on my S7 when I login using the web gui it auto logs me out with the usual message.

"you have been logged out because you logged in from another device"

Notifications will continue to work on the S7 without logging back in again and with the Android app still reporting the above message.

I would have to re-enter my password on the login screen to get the Android app up and running again. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Streak2,

Interesting, I see now why you got those results. This isn't the same as logging out from Settings > Profile > Log out. I will need to find out why this isn't the same...thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Outside of this corner case, you do need to be logged in to receive push notifications.

Update @Streak2 Being logged out after signing in to the web ui is a bit different than an explicit log out. The app session still remains active, allowing push notifications to be received. So we stand corrected. Technically yes, it seems you would not need to actually be logged in to receive push notifications, you would just need to log in and never have explicitly logged out. So this works for a single user but likely wouldn't be as useful for multiple users like the scenario in the original post. In this case, granting access is more useful so the users don't interrupt each others sessions.

JamesC

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Hmm. Interesting indeed.

One would assume that when the app says you are logged out it means exactly that regardless of the method used to log out.

I can now see that there is a difference. In that regard I also stand corrected. Maybe a change needs to be made to the app so users will know the exact status.

Of course, the access granting answer to the OP was 100% correct.

This was only a discussion about the need to be logged in to get notifications.

We also now know that should this question come up again we would need to find out what method was used to log out.

We could get the case where a customer says "The app says I am logged out but I am still getting notifications".

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yeah, it may be better to say that you're disconnected rather than logged out.