Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Exterior Mounting of an Arlo with the Netgear adjustable outdoor Arlo mount into stucco

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
warlordace
Follower
Follower

I was looking to mount a Arlo with the outdoor mount. It'll go into the ceiling over my backyard patio into stucco. I live in California, I have a custom built home that is almost 8 years old.

So I am just wondering is stucco sturdy enough to support an Arlo and its mount?

I will drill a hole just smaller than the screw and use the screws that came with the mount. There are 3 screws for each mount. The Arlo camera will be upside down so I will invert the image. I want it to monitor the doors that lead into my house from the backyard. I have two I'll be mounting to monitor 3 doors.

Thanks in advance for your time.

George

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't see why not as long as you use the proper anchors or find a stud and use a long enough screw. As long as the mount doesn't somehow create huge torque (from a long arm, f'rinstance), you should be fine.  Gotta think drywall has less strength than the stucco.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI.... If I were you , before drilling into fairly new construction, I'd do a TEMP mount at the location to test the camera.

If you can't get it to hang in a temp fashion, I'd mount it on top of a ladder rung to approximately the same height / angle for testing

Many have had to move the cameras around to get the best results.  ( I move one 3x before capture was to my expectations but was able to duc tape it )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
gearhead100
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really didn’t want to drill into stucco and I did not want to use permanent glue that would do damage. I opted to go with silicon sealant

• Clean the stucco with alcohol and a brush and find an optimal place to mount it, both location and stucco texture.
  • Scuff the back of the magnetic, half dome shaped mount, I chose this one for its low weight which was about 1/3 lb    with the camera
  • Fill the mount through the screw hole with silicone until it overflows, try and keep the silicone in the mount and what overflows as one unit; this helps anchor it to the wall.
  • Use blue duct tape to hold it for 24 hours
  • Mount camera

Disclaimer:

This seems very sturdy so far and I am happy with the outcome, but I just did this so only time will tell.  It does seem like it will last though and removal will be simple.

johnny5lives
Tutor
Tutor

@gearhead100 I see you posted this 2-3 months ago, not sure when you did the silicon sealant. But curious, is it still secured to your stucco wall? If so, which brand of sealant did you use? Also, what type of environment do you live in? I ask, beccause I'm in Arizona and we have dry, arid and hot temperatures most of the year. If I went this route, I'd want to something that held up for a long time. I could see this option being good to test the location I think will work best.