Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Fix for iPhones

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Cogsworth
Follower
Follower

I got my Arlo a few days ago, setup was easy and everyting in the app was working well on my iPhone 7 Plus except for geofencing. Whenever I tried to select the Geofencing mode, I could go through the setup wizard but the settings were never saved. After finishing the wizard, the green dot would switch back to Disarmed after a couple seconds and if I tried to select Geofencing again it would just start the wizard all over again. Same if I tried to edit the Geofencing mode. As I kept going through the wizard, I noticed that if I tried to edit the Push Notifications setting, there was nothing there. It was not recognizing my iPhone. Which led me to believe that the Arlo software was having trouble identifying my iPhone as an Enabled Device, even though it was listed there.

On a hunch, I tried changing my iPhones's name in iOS at Settings>General>About>Name from "Dan's iPhone 7+" to "Dans iPhone" and sure enough, geofencing started working! The geofencing wizard was able to save my settings, and I can go back and edit them. My phone now shows up under Push Notifications and Enabled Devices.

It would appear that the geofencing section of the Arlo app has a problem with apostrophes and possibly other non-alpha characters. Today I noticed that you also can't use an apostrophe in the geofencing Camera Location setting, if I try to change mine from "Home" to "Dan's Home" the text turns red as soon as I type the apostrophe and saving is disabled.

I wanted to post this here in case other iPhone users are having similar issues with geofencing, and also hopefully someone from Netgear will escalate this to their engineering team. 

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cogsworth,

Thanks for sharing the workaround. I have already escalated this topic to the engineering team for further investigation. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

heisian
Guide
Guide

It's been over a month and such a simple thing (though maybe not on the engineering side), when are we going to see a resolution? I would call this lackluster support for a paid product so far.

billjh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, and while I did have an apostrophe in my phone name, changing it didn't solve it. It still switches back to disarmed and acts as if I never set it up in the first place.

Edit:

I've tried disabling the iphone during setup and the geofencing seems to save, but with the iphone disabled. When I go back in to enable it, the iphone is there, but disappears before I can check mark it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

billjh,

Consider rebooting your device and try again. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

billjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
I actually got it to work.

I had to disable the iPhone when setting up geofencing, (it still went back to disarmed) then closed out the app and restarted it. After doing that, I had to go through the geofencing setup again and the the iPhone was enabled and the setting stayed.
andre2much
Aspirant
Aspirant
Brilliant!! Worked instantly when I removed the '

Thanks
Maxxxam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks it works i can at least find the devices. Its not a problem since yesterday  but Netgear didnt manage to solve the issue or at least inform the Users !!!!