Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
SHOARLO
Follower
Follower

I am having trouble getting Geofencing to work.  When I am away and my wife is home the camera defaults to Armed. She has been added as a user with geofencing already

Is there is any way to rectify this? I have tried unplugging the base station and logging in again.  It doesn't change.

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
artywah
Tutor
Tutor

My partner and I have the same problem

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. 

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

JamesC

Dave51026
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having thre same Geofencing issues many others are having.  if one person leaves it arms the cameras even if other person sharing is home.

Do you have a fix planned?

Thanks

Dave

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dave51026,

Is the app logged in and running on both devices? Geofencing cannot update location if the app is not running.

JamesC

Dave51026
Aspirant
Aspirant

James I will say no as i have never had to have the app running before.  In fact today with the app not running Geo-fencing checked me in and out.  I have deleted and reloaded app to both phones.  On the secondary phone it is hit or miss after the reload of the app.  Guess the new and improved makes me run the app all the time now when I did not have to run the app in the past? 

Just want to get it correct.  Tired of al the false triggers on the cameras.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cathyk125
Tutor
Tutor
I'm wondering how to get Arlo to stay logged in. each time i open the app, it says logging in. This may be why geofencing keeps dropping in and out. How can i set up to stay logged in to Arlo please?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You stay logged in except when explicitly logging out via the menu.  The login prompt is just checking to see if another device has been used to log in.

PAJ0
Guide
Guide
I have exactly the same issue. Both devices are logged in. All the settings you pointed out are correct, such as location services and both users granted access on the same account. When I leave, it arms even though my partner is still home.

By the way, I have a Canary and it can do geofencing even when the app isn't open in the background. Imagine that!
PAJ0
Guide
Guide

In addition, when I'm away it says that my device is Out of zone and that the other device is In zone. Nevertheless, it stays armed, which it should not.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PAJ0,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back

JamesC

MarkSewell
Guide
Guide
I have the issue discussed however geofencing only works for me (th first added device). If my wife is home I see here in some but it's still arming the base station. I tried refreshing and reinstalling the app with no luck!
MarkSewell
Guide
Guide
Sorry spell check fun. I see here in zone not in some 🤦‍♂️
PAJ0
Guide
Guide
Hi JamesC, tried that yesterday but did not fix. Also re-installed the Arlo app on the device that was not triggering arm/disarm.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

PAJ0
Guide
Guide
Thanks. Going through that now. 🙂
Cathyk125
Tutor
Tutor
I've tried this Jamesc. No change.
Wondering if there might be some conflict with virus protection software.
I have an S7. It is the problem. My son's iPhone works perfectly.
I do notice that the location icon on my phone is not permanently visible. Maybe it goes into some sort of sleep mode which Arlo can't work with.
MagnusN
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can I include my kids in the geofencing without letting them monitor the cameras or arm/disarm the system?

Regards

MagnusN

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MagnusN,

Geofencing is designed to Arm and Disarm the system based on device location. For a device to utilize Geofencing it must have access to Arming/Disarming, access rights must be enabled.

JamesC

MagnusN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I understand. But both invited users and geofencing accounts shold have the (admin) option to not see the feeds. I mean the whole idea of geofencing have nothing to do with controlling the camera or watching the feed. Only to activate/deactivate. The two things should be separated...

For me, having the cameras both outdoors and indoors, it's a question of privacy. So that my teenagers can feel that the system gets deactivated when they come home, but without the risk of a sibling monitoring and possibly recording what's happening. The same option should be implemented in geofencing to use with other chosen units. If you don't need to record gardeners, house keeping, a neighbor watering your plants etc, etc.. I could go on with examples. The geofencing idea (witch I thought was smarter than it is) was the tipping point that made me buy the system, since my youngest don't have to remember a pin and the above. I am convinced many users would agree with me.

Just enable an account that is not admin apart from avtivate/deativate in witch one can turn different rights on and off from the admin account, similar to the invite account where you can turn some things on and off. Or develop the invite account to be part of geofencing only.

Today I use geofencing with the schedule option as a night watch and I think it's wonderful. I only miss the issue posted for the product to be 10 out of 10.

kiwisteve
Initiate
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue.

I have 2 people set up in my Arlo for Geofencing,  Myself and my partner.  Geofencing is turned on.

But it seems to ignore the fact that some one is actually home when the other person is away.

It also seems to ignore the Arming Schedule info I have set for use with Geofencing.

I have set (for example) that the system is alarmed when we are home from 10pm to 6am next day.  That way when we are asleep the system is monitoring and alerting us in case of intruders etc..

But right now it is 7:44am here, I am away, my partners is home and yet we are still getting alert emails and Arlo is showing as Armed.  My partners is actually setting off the alarms when they should not be happening if Geofencing was working!!

That actually breaks both the Geofencing Rule and also the Arm/Disarm Schedule

What is going  on here?  Can someone please fix this so it works correctly!!!.