Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Infrared lens melting, Anyone else?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Straw102
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in Arizona and purchased a 4 camera set last year. The cameras are placed on four sides of my home and are under the roof eave for the most part. I recently noticed they have been failing to activate on motion. I examined the cameras and noticed the infrared covers seem to be "melting" or shriveling up. I can't imagine this is happening from the heat, and if it is these camera's are junk. Has anybody else had this happen? Does anybody know if it is possible to obtain replacement covers? I have submitted a "case" through the support page and was assigned a case number but I get a "Fatal Error" message from the Netgear website when I try to access the case.

Steve

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

can you take a picture and post here... it woulf be the first time someone has seen this that I know of

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Straw102
Aspirant
Aspirant

The one on the right is worse now because I picked at it to see if it would come out. It was more warped than the one on the left before I touched it. I know it looks like someting damaged it, but they are mounted on the magnets and have never moved. They have not captured anything touching them either (I was thinking woodpecker!) It looks like they melted.

IMG_2639.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the pic yet but I ha a silly question. Did you remove the clear plastic protective shield from the lenses?

Straw102
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Can't see the pic yet but I ha a silly question. Did you remove the clear plastic protective shield from the lenses?

Strange, the picture appears for me. I did take the clear plastic shield off.

I have since removed the front cover and removed the melted infrared cover. I would be happy if I could obtain replacement parts and I will re-assemble it myself.

Anybody know if you can obtain parts for these cameras?

Thanks 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can see the pics immediately since ou uploaded them.  The rest of us need to wait for them to be approved.

Parts aren't available.  Your only choice is to open a case with support for replacement.

Straw102
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

You can see the pics immediately since ou uploaded them.  The rest of us need to wait for them to be approved.

Parts aren't available.  Your only choice is to open a case with support for replacement.

Funny you should say that. I opened a case and their reply was to restart my base and re-connect cameras and so forth. I thanked them for the generic response and they they replied asking for pictures. Unfortunaley I was out of town for the week and when in returned today I see they closed my case because I didn't reply in a timely manner.

So explanation, no solution, no parts available and no support .... REALLY expensive paper weights! I will have to be sure to share this experience with everybody.

Thanks to those that replied.  

manfredz
Hero
Hero

cant blame them for closing your case when you didnt reply; could have let them know you'd be unavailable for a week.

And can always reopen your case or open new one.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The infrared lens is made of HDPE which has a melting point of at least 250 degrees F, so I don't think they are melting.  To me they actually look like something is eating them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Chemicals?  Wasp spray?

Straw102
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah hard to say what it is. The one looks picked at because I tried to dig it out. They are mounted on the dome mounts included and have never moved. I have never seen anything activate the motin sensor while picking at them either.

Bottom line netgear isn't gonna do anything for me and nobody else seems to have had this issue so again, really expensive a paper weights. 

Thanks for the replys