Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
ebenezercm
Aspirant
Aspirant

We should like to install an additional Arlo Wire-Free camera in an adjoining stable. The signal there from the base station is weak - -85dBm or thereabouts. The stable and house are on a common electrical circuit. Should I use a powerline adaptor to extend the range of the base station? If so, what would be the best overall configuration of devices?

11 REPLIES 11
brh
Master
Master

@ebenezercm

The signal strength between the base station and the cameras vs the signal strength of your wifi are two seperate issues. What I have done in the past was to purchase a range extender and an additional base station to be able to reach cameras that were getting a very low signal strength. The additional base station must physically connect to your wifi through an ethernet cable, so that is the reason I bought the range extender with an ethernet port in it.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to be clear, the ONLY way to really expand the range of Arlo wirless cameras ( that use a base ) is to add another base. ( there is no limit of bases on any account level , only limit is number of cameras ...  Nor do mult bases have to be on the same network )

So if you have another AP, you can add a base there ( can even be out of state )... for most people, it means using the same network by using an extender with an ethernet port ..(.or up to 100m by direct ethenet cable ).  You then link the closest cameras to each base. 

( bases set up their own wifi network just for the cameras... cameras will link to bases only )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And to answer the original question, a powerline extender should be fine. Try to use the same circuit on both ends to maximize the speed of the extender's connection.

ebenezercm
Aspirant
Aspirant

So: I do I need to connect a second base station in the stable to the first base station via ethernet and powerline, and then connect the new camera to the second base station wirelessly? If so, what powerline kit do I need?

brh
Master
Master

@ebenezercm

The second base station will connect to the ethernet connector on the powerline adapter, then you sync the camera in the stable to that base station. Netgear makes many different models, just be sure that it has an ethernet connector to connect the base station to.

Brian

ebenezercm
Aspirant
Aspirant

So both base stations should be connected via Ethernet to powerline adaptors? Have I got this right?

brh
Master
Master

@ebenezercm

I am not currently using powerline adapters, but from what I understand, your first base station can remain connected to your router and you run an ethernet cable to the first powerline adapter. In the stable your second base can connect to your second powerline adapter. If the first powerline adapter has two ethernet plugs, I suppose you could connect the first router to it if you have run out of connectors on the back of the router. 

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@ebenezercm

I will give you my 2 cents worth for a recommendation. If you are willing to spend some money, purchase the Netgear Orbi router with 2 satellites. This system is expensive, but worth every penny. It is truly an awesome setup. Do a little research on it. I installed mine last week and I am thrilled with it.

Brian

Kale88
Aspirant
Aspirant
On the topic of adding cameras I just bought the basic Arlo 3 camera package and was curious how many more cameras can be added on to the base station.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a loaded question that needs a nuanced answer. A base will support 15 cameras but only 5 can stream at one time. Also, the free basic plan is only for 5 cameras so if you need more, you'd also have to upgrade your subscription.

Kale88
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you!!!