Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
SixSigmaGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Security Cameras
Model: VMS3230C
Base Station:
     HW Version: VMB301r2
     Serial Number: 48946B7NB21EB
     Firmware: 1.8.8.0_115281
Camera1:
     HW Version: H11
     Serial #: 4WA16B709A678
     Firmware: 1.2.10342
Camera2:
     HW Version: H11
     Serial #: 4WA16B7N958B4
     Firmware: 1.2.10342

I purchased the Arlo 2 Camera HD Security System yesterday for my boat.  I'm encountered several concerns and will address each in a separate post.  In this post, I want to know how to record the video to my hard drive, rather than the internet/cloud?  I have over 25TB free hard drive space that I bought for recording the surveillance video, but now I can't seem to get it to my hard drives.  I saw the feature for downloading, but I can only download one clip at a time and it takes forever to download.  But it clearly shows that the functionality to save to my hard drive is in the design.  So, why am I prevented from accessing it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manfredz
Hero
Hero

The Arlo Pro base station has the capability to record to a USB device

; The earlier Arlo doesn't.

You can select a whole page of recordings in the liabrary to download by using the select all button

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
manfredz
Hero
Hero

The Arlo Pro base station has the capability to record to a USB device

; The earlier Arlo doesn't.

You can select a whole page of recordings in the liabrary to download by using the select all button

SixSigmaGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. So you are telling me that I have pay extra to turn on a feature that is already part of the system, but disabled in the software?  That's not good.  If true, I'm returning this system. Seems like a ripoff to me.  I already new about downloading all the videos on a page, but it still takes forever. 

When you say the Arlo Pro has the ability to record to a USB device, does that include a Seagate 5TB hard drive connected via a USB port?  But I can't record to a hard drive that is built in to the computer?

Thanks again; your answer was great!!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

You have to research this stuff.

The Arlo Pro is an entirely system that allows you to connect usb storage devices that you provede.

What are you talking about paying extra to turn on a feature

SixSigmaGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The pro cost more than the system I purchased.  Thus, I have to pay more.  Yet the hardware in my system includes everything needed to save to the hard drive.  They just don't let me unless I upgrade to the pro system.  Reminds me of buying shareware where features are not available until you pay the additonal fee.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

You got it totally wrong.

You're complaining you bought the less expensive line and complain it doesnt have the features of the more expensive line.

SixSigmaGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, you are the one who's wrong.  I read all the posts where people requested an API; if there was one, I could write my own code to do this very quickly.  Thus, the company has prevented us from doing this in their software.   

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

SixSigmaGuy wrote

When you say the Arlo Pro has the ability to record to a USB device, does that include a Seagate 5TB hard drive connected via a USB port?  But I can't record to a hard drive that is built in to the computer?

Thanks again; your answer was great!!

Just be aware of a few things with the Pro and the USB drive....

1) the limit is 2 TB max and needs fat32 formatting

2) the USB port with a drive is Backup Only....it records what goes to the cloud AND is there to record if the Internet drops out ( if the cam was previously armed )

3) you can NOT access the drive directly, you must eject the drive and play the MP4 files in another device

Btw, it is just easier to use a simple 5gb or larger speed stick

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------