Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Netgear Nighthawk D7000 Router and Arlo wire-free camera

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is supposed to be an Arlo tab under Basic menu when I log into my Router (recommended Nighthawk one). Despite updating to the latest firmware I can find no Arlo settings after logging into the router. Why is this? I tried getting Arlo to recognise the router but it doesn't. I don't have an special router for the camera because I understand the Nighthawk one does the job. I have two otehr internal cameras which work fine. it's just the wire free one that is a real problem. I tried connecting the camera and it doesn't recognise it either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you mean R7000, the Arlo tab was in a firmware that was released and then taken down because it didn't work. It was version 1.0.6.28.  The R7000 will not work directly with the Arlo camera, you need a base station.  With a base station, the R7000 works. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You say you have a D7000 which isn't Arlo-compatible.  Only the R7000 supports Arlo and then only with issues and certain firmware.

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you mean R7000, the Arlo tab was in a firmware that was released and then taken down because it didn't work. It was version 1.0.6.28.  The R7000 will not work directly with the Arlo camera, you need a base station.  With a base station, the R7000 works. 

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, but just a suggestion - it may be a good idea to remove that from the instruction leaflet then!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some users have the newer firmware installed before it was pulled so the system works. If you need the latest beta firmware that supports Arlo, download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gff35js08j6nzof/R7000-V1.0.6.40_1.1.90.chk?dl=0

However, the issue is still whethernyoh have an R7k or a D7k. Only the former will work with Arlo. AFAIK, the D7k will never support Arlo.

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the D7000 so I must forget it. What annoys me is that in the instructions for the camera it clearly states that you can use the nighthawk as if it was a certainty. Surely they should remove this and get everybody to buy the base station. I have ordered a base station. Thanks

ittroll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Perhaps give some Kudos to this idea to extend this feature to the D7000.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Netgear-Router-Support/idi-p/1063090

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Arlo Pro 2 - Because free is best.
guyver2077
Tutor
Tutor

Are you saying the cameras won't work with the R7000 router? It appears to support it in the admin menu and I believe i'm on the latest firmware.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The R7000 is supported but the D7000 is not.

The latest firmware is 1..0.6.40, which is bet firmware. The last production firmware was 1.0.6.30 which was pulled along with everything else after 1.4.something.  If the router is working for you without the beta firmware, you can try out Arlo. There are problems with the 2.4GHz drivers and Arlo so keep an eye on things. 

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The cameras will work with the R7000 AND a base station and v1.0.5.64 firmware.

The firmware version (1.0.6.xx) that was released so that you could get rid of the base station didn't work for me.  I even tore my system down and built it up from scratch with help from support step by step and I still had major problems. The absolute killer for me was the external hard drive issue. If you plug in an external hard drive to the router usb port, it will lose the cameras. There were other problems and Netgear removed that firmware version (1.0.6.xx) from the download section. 

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so I purchased the base station and it appears on my app. I also managed to sync the wire free camera as it gives the blue flashing light.

However, the camera does nto show up on my app! Under Mode I can change the status of the base station to motion detection but no sign of the camera itself!

Why isn't it there? I have the base station connected to the D7000.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Okone1 wrote:

The cameras will work with the R7000 AND a base station and v1.0.5.64 firmware.

The firmware version (1.0.6.xx) that was released so that you could get rid of the base station didn't work for me.  I even tore my system down and built it up from scratch with help from support step by step and I still had major problems. The absolute killer for me was the external hard drive issue. If you plug in an external hard drive to the router usb port, it will lose the cameras. There were other problems and Netgear removed that firmware version (1.0.6.xx) from the download section. 

I have a USB 2.0 drive plugged into the front USB 3.0 port with no issues using 1.0.6.40. Note that there was at least one, if not more, 1.0.6.xx releases that got pulled along with 1.0.5.xx (I'm late to the game, arriving after the firmware was pulled so don't have a chronology to rely on).  There are reports of 2.4GHz. issues as well as the USB drive issue.  I didn't have access to all of the versions so can't comment but will say that in my environment I've only had one 2.4GHz. dropout and no USB issues (haven't used the rear port nor a USB 3.0 drive in the front port).  5 devices plus one wireless camera are using the 2.4GHz band, 4 on the 5GHz band and 6 wired.

It was never a base station issue.  I have two (!) base stations running off my R7000 with 1.0.6.40 that has one camera attached (had up to 3), all for my own testing purposes - I change it around every once in a while.  3 wireless cameras total with a Q thrown in for good measure.  I'm still waiting for an official release with Arlo support but the beta has worked for me since I first installed it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

sorova wrote:

Ok so I purchased the base station and it appears on my app. I also managed to sync the wire free camera as it gives the blue flashing light.

However, the camera does nto show up on my app! Under Mode I can change the status of the base station to motion detection but no sign of the camera itself!

Why isn't it there? I have the base station connected to the D7000.

The camera's blue LED should have flashed slowly for several seconds followed by fast flashing for ~10 seconds.  Is that what you saw?  If not, it didn't sync and won't show up anyplace.  I'd suggest removing the base from your setup (Settings, My Devices, base station and use the remove button).  Reset the base using the reset button until the LEDs flash amber.  Add the base back in using the Add Device button in the Cameras tab and select the base.  Then sync the camera using the Add Device button and select the camera.  Follow the bouncing ball to sync.  Any luck?

WorldsAnchor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you...

I bought 5 refurbed Arlo cams off of Amazon becuase I had a leaflet that said my router (R7000 Nighthawk AC1900) would support them. You're a life saver... 

Thank you again...