Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
rheality
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,
One of my cameras does not work on night mode.
I have done the following to resolve:
1. Removed the batteries and re-synced
2. Reset the base station turning it on and off
3. Removed the device and re-added
4. Toggled night mode on and off

Red sensor does come on and works in day mode but not at night.

Please can anyone help?

33 REPLIES 33
steve_t
Master Master
Master

What do you mean by it doesn't work? What red sensor are you talking about that comes on during the day?

rheality
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
The images are black so you can't see anything and the red sensor comes on if motion is detected. Therefore the recorded videos are black and nothing can be seen.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Do you mean the IR illuminators? They shouldn't come on during  the day.

Is there any image at all? Or it's just totally black? Does it work OK during the day?

rheality
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
Thanks for responding.
It works ok during the day and at night the video is completely pitch black if motion is detected or if I go to a live feed.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What distance are you trying to monitor?  Maybe a screenshot of the view would be useful so we can see what you're trying to see.

smcbreen
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having this same exact problem. I updated to firmware version 1.2.11810 hardware H7 before going away on vacation. While someone watched our house for us I had several motion detection instances at night where video was recorded but the video was all black rather than greyish (night vision/IR mode). No settings or resets have been able to resolve this issue.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a link to a video so we can see.

Larann
Initiate
Initiate
We are having the same issue where the camera works fine during the day but the live view and recorded videos at night are virtually pitch black. We have infrared lights lighting up the area and the Arlo used to work. We also have wired cameras in the same area and at night the same area is lit up like it is day time for them but not for the Arlo however.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Did you try a battery pull reset?

srobe
Guide
Guide
I have same problem. Night vision switch is on and I see the red lights in camera but u cannot see anything on the screen that should be recorded. It is black except the garden lights show up as a spot
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post day and night screenshots.  It may be that you're just trying to see too far away.

srobe
Guide
Guide

Here are the day and night photos. I used to have better nigh vision pics but now all you see is me and some garden lights. I have not moved the camera at all.I also attach what my other basic Arlo camera looks like with night vision. other Alto with night vision working.PNGproblem camera during day.PNGproblem camera during day.PNGno night vision working.PNGother Alto with night vision working.PNG

BobW_NC
Guide
Guide

Maybe IR filter not moving out of path? Look at it at night after triggering and see if you can see the dim red from the IR leds. Check your other one to prove you can see them. Next, assuming you do, prove that the filter is still in path. Point an IR remote at the one that sees in the dark, and see if it looks like a floodlight. Now do the same with the one that's blind at night. If the blind one doesn't show the IR from the remote - it may see some, but the one that works will be an example of what to expect - it's likely the opposite of those that are pink in daylight. Another example of the apparently widespread Arlo IR filter issues. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Without labels it's kinda hard to figure out what I'm seeing in your pics but I think I have it.

The "backyard" shots seem normal, given the additional exterior lighting.  The driveway shot (I assume that's what it is with your head and shoulder in the pic) Isn't exactly unusual given the distance, black driveway and anything to try to reference as distance increases.  You can try live viewing or triggering motion as you walk down the driveway away from the camera to see how you show up as the reference.

It's possible that the camera has a fault, too.  The easiest thing to try is to swap the cameras around to see if there's a big difference. If so, open a case with support.

smcbreen
Initiate
Initiate
I was able to my issue resolved. I removed the camera device in Arlo, removed the batteries from my camera & let it discharge for a few minutes. Put the batteries back into the camera & synced it with my base station like a fresh start. After all of that I was able to get the camera night vision working correctly again. That last firmware patch needs to be reviewed by the DEV team and the QA process re-examined so these issues don't get through..
RichmondDan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having same problem.

One camera works fine, day or night, whether manually or motion-activated.  There is a click at night when the camera activates...I assume this is the I/R filter moving into place.

The other camera also works fine in daytime, but no night vision, just very dark or black image.  The infrared lights do illuminate at night, but there is NO click (associated with the I/R filter).  Other people seem to be having the same problem over the last few weeks, so I'm hoping this is a software issue.  

P.S.  I've tried removing and replacing batteries, removing device and re-syncing, and then doing both: removing device from network AND batteries from device for 20 minutes, then reconnecting...all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case with support.

AsoloHeart1955
Star
Star

I also have a collection of videos like that . I took the entire system down now 3 times this week. Removed everything and each one of my cameras have some kind of issue. Two were I had but had to replace that base station and so since then I started getting pink screens black screens one of those the IR light does not light up ad most time purple but an get night to stay on if I put it upside down. So I bought another camera (refurbished). It also has issues with it loosing connection at times. SO last week I bought another one (refurbished). Now it has issues with staying connected. All of these are sitting in my house within 4 feet of base. I sit here tonight with no security device working 100%. Each one acts up while another is great. I do notice that it some of them do not hold a video sitting. The major issue is the black video on my newest camera. Works reat during the day but sitting right next to another camera you can see the difference. A few times in was half way dark like a miss-shift in the lens inside or something.  Right now everything has been removed from my account so maybe it will reset. All the batteries are taken out. Will wait a while and try one of them at a time again. The update is when most of this started right about the time of the big outage is when I noticed the most troubles.

AsoloHeart1955
Star
Star

ROFL Once again spent the night doing the same thing over and over. At this point I have 2 older ones that came with a base unit that has been replaced. I also have 2 refurbished. One a couple months ago when one of the orginals went down. and the other one got last week. Each one has issues. One of them sees black for night vision so I have to leave on daytime and light up the yard with lights. The other one seems to have connections issues at times. #1I moved the base closer so they all have 3 bars. #2 reset everythig several times #3 The remaining older one sees pink and so I leave It put on night mode and placed upside down and invert image. Have tried this also with the others. The forth one from orgional purchase blinks nothing but purple. It stared out with the pink is why I replaced but used upseide down also till purple showed up. Knowing my two orginal cameras will not fall under any warranty since it has been over a year now. So... I took it apart thnking maybe something got unplugged. I found the black wire pinched in the casing. and then it broke but I coneeccted it back together. Also found a broken clear lense. The redish one still moves.  So that is toast for sure. All put back together and still acts the same. Spare parts...

Well after many nights and endless hours of frustrations I ordered another set today. Two cameras VMS3230 and a base So now I will have 2 base stations. Right now I am not impressed enough with their system to pay for one accoiunt for 2 bases to mae it easier to check..Seems all of mine started trouble right after the big storm putage and update. Maybe it is the refurshed units but the older ones went bad too. Decided to activate new base and start out with that kit all over again and add the 3 others as I go checking to see if their issues resolve. If not I will be opening tickets on the most 2 recent purchases. The very first time I hooked each one up I had a purple line in the middle but it went away next couple days. One was purchased Sept 20 and the other Dec 4. Are they both under your warranty for replacement? I am hoping the update will help. Of course that is the same day the new ones arrive so they will need updating. Crossing fingers for that ...Also wondering if maybe it is the base units causing this... or just the update.Will update the old set first inc case..

steve_t
Master Master
Master

AsoloHeart1955 wrote:

ROFL Once again spent the night doing the same thing over and over.

You know they say that's one of the definitions of insanity, right? 😛

I think you should look at a refund and then pay the extra to get an Arlo Pro kit. Whatever extra you have to pay is totally worth it. Arlo Pro is a huge advancement on Arlo HD. Arlo Pro 2 is more of a refinement of Arlo Pro. Arlo Pro currently presents the best value - they're better than Arlo HD in pretty much every way

srobe
Guide
Guide
I called Arlo (person was in India). Explained issue including battery power always depleting, even when they said over 3.4 left on all four. They were regular Panasonic lith only batteries. I want to use rechargeable but they strongly suggest they be Tenergy Lith-ion 650 MHz which cost more. They are also replacing the camera. So I am getting these rechargeable batt and it’s charger, and will see if they last at least a month. Thanks.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For the record, rechargeables will last a shorter period of time since the rating is ~700mAH instead of the OEM 1500mAH. However, you'll save in the long run.

A faulty camera makes all other bets useless.

AsoloHeart1955
Star
Star

Well they have already shipped the new set. But do have a update with positive results. The latest Refurshed on that kept losing connection type erros.. I resolved it. I moved the base to middle of home till I got all 3 bars. Haven't had same issue since. Yes the Arlo Pro would be a great idea but I am home 98% of a week and I can keep an eye on my Emotional Support Dog when she needs to be out for a quick break. .. This Arlo is worth the cost to enjoy the nature views I get. I sure love watching the deer run through my yard into the forest. 

kalasoft
Star
Star

I have three camers that came with the purchase package. All three (3) cameras stopped working in night motion vision within a week of each other. All base and app settings are the same when night motion vision worked but now all I see when night motion vision is triggered is a solid black recording. My question is (like many of the others), short of purchasing three new cameras, what can be done to fix this issue? If its a firmware issue, that's Netgear's fault, fix it! If it's a faulty set of cameras (planned obsolescence), that's Netgear's fault, shame on you! Either way, I am seeking a fix (short of purchasing new cameras) to this known and reported (with no successful reply from Netgear) issue. I'm hoping Netgear is not following the Apple product business model by building in planned obsolescence and bad firmware updates. Please Netgear, Apple already ownes these business models... be better!