Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night Vision not working?

Discussion stats
Harms_Way
Tutor
Tutor

So far nothing but positive results all around and up to this point with this product. I installed my new Arlo 2 camera set up today, followed the instructions to the T and enjoyed all day views. Heres the problem - once night fell I went to check and see how the cameras look at night. Low and behold, the front door was camera was working flawlessly and the infrareds where working when viewed... But I noticed the back door camera was not. The camera is on and working, but the infrareds were not showing in "Night Vision" like the front door? Can anyone give me a hand with the second camera, I would love for it to work like the one at the front door if possible.

Here is a screen capture of what I see. The image on the left is camera at the front door (Infrareds on and working) - the one on the right is the camera at the backdoor (Camera is on but no Infrareds working so its pitch black)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The easiest thing to do at this point to eliminate gliches, would be to open the battery door on the camera and then close same to reset it.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The easiest thing to do at this point to eliminate gliches, would be to open the battery door on the camera and then close same to reset it.

Harms_Way
Tutor
Tutor

That did it my friend, thank you very much for your time and advice.  Smiley Happy

tmattprice
Initiate
Initiate
Has anyone else had similar issues?. I've had a strange issue here lately where one of my three cameras apparently isn't transitioning between night and day. What happens is during the day, it works flawlessly.. Night rolls around, and although the infrared IS working on the camera (red lights), the picture is still very very dark, noticeably not working right. All I have to do to fix is pop open the battery door, as suggested here, and when it comes back, works like a champ until daytime, then the process starts again. I'm about sick and **bleep** tired of popping open the battery door EVERY night lol. Please help!!

Matt
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like a trouble ticket would be the fastest solution.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Once or twice could be a glitch... every night sounds like a troubleticket so Netgear assists you.

Phillipr
Tutor
Tutor

Popping battery lid open didn't solve the problem. 

derrickdowns1
Initiate
Initiate
What is a trouble ticket
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

derrickdowns1 wrote:
What is a trouble ticket

A formal request to support to fix a problem.

These forums are informal.

JohnJohn75
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do I get my night vision to work or should I bring it back
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Need more details.  Night vision is for turning the IR illuminators on to aid recording in dark places. Is it enabled in Settings for the camera(s)? If you test recording/live view at night can you see the dull red glow around the camera lens?

EduCat05
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having the same night vision issues as described above... opening and closing the battery door doesn't fix the issue. I notice that the camera (even during the day) seems to get a whitish look on the screen after a while. Infrared red lights do not appear in a dark room any more. This camera is only 8 days out of the box. The other three work like a charm.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap the camera with a different one and see what happens.  If the issue follows the camera and not the position, create a trouble ticket.

Gearcamera1
Initiate
Initiate

I am very disappointed with these cameras.  First even though I have a model VMS3430, I cannot even enter this model number in the space above for entering the model. Netgear can start resolving issues with its cameras by first enabling consumers to enter the model number in the space provided for the model number.

My main issues with these cameras are they don't work.  The cameras are either offline or the night vision doesn't work.  It's ridiculous.  Netgear advertises these cameras as having night vision.  Consumers being required to open and shut the battery door every night to get night vision to work is absolutely unacceptable.  My cameras are mounted about 9 feet off of the floor.  I have no intention on climbing on a step ladder every night to open and close the battery doors of all of my cameras. 

Netgear needs to either fix the issues with their cameras or stop selling the cameras.  I would not recommend consumers purchase these cameras because unless you are buying a security camera go only secure your property during the day or you wish to try to pull up the cameras only to determine you are unable to see the images because the cameras are offline, there is no reason to invest in these cameras. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gearcamera1,

When there is not enough ambient light, the camera will automatically enable Night Vision mode if you have this feature turned on in the camera settings. What is indicating that Night Vision mode is not working as expected? When Night Vision mode has engaged you should see faint red LEDs around the camera lens indicating that it is working.

Cameras dropping offline could be related to depleted batteries or a range/interference issue. What does the WiFi signal strength indicator show for the affected cameras?

Are you having these issues with all of your cameras or is it a specific camera(s) that is behaving this way?

JamesC

TCavanaugh
Initiate
Initiate
When you push the "Customer Support" button it should take you to "Customer Support", not some far away cyberspace.

Undoubtedly your customer strategy is to piss off customers so they take their cameras back to Costco!!!!!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TCavanaugh wrote:
When you push the "Customer Support" button it should take you to "Customer Support", not some far away cyberspace.

Undoubtedly your customer strategy is to piss off customers so they take their cameras back to Costco!!!!!

Not necessarily so.......not according to my most recent experience with Arlo tech support.

I had same issue with night vision not working. I have to say Netgear Tech Support was great.

They quickly resolved my problem, gave me an RMA within minutes and they're shipping me a new camera!

I was totally surprised by the excellent treatment I was given from a couple of very friendly and helpful people. Hopefully more Arlo users contacting teck support would get same treatment.

Paul

TCavanaugh
Initiate
Initiate
Paul,

Congratulations on Netgear providing you the appropriate level of support.

However I can't find the $&@"@&$& Support Sceen that you were able to find. Call me an idiot if you'd like. But ANYTIME a Customer has to search for a Customer Support Button, Screen, Access Port or whatever else you want to call it and a company HIDES behind FAQ and SEARCH methods, they are cheap and have no respect for their customers. These comments are not directed at you. They are directed at Arlo And Netgear Executive Management.

Would someone like to simplify how you actually get to Customer Support? I'll change my tone once I have connected and receive the same support as Paul.

I'll bet many of you purchased a similar product for the purpose of security and to catch perpetrators. Because of the failure of the Night Vison to work properly on a brand new system I missed catching a perpetrator on Night Vision. The fact I can't get through to Customer Support adds insult to injury.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TCavanaugh:

Here's what I did and worked for me:

Bottom of this page --> Contact Support --> Bottom Page --> Give us a call --> phone #'s

Good luck!

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I used to suggest the link at the bottom, too, until I realized there is no such link on the mobile page. As I suggested a few messages above here, use https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Jguerdat:

you're right........I was using my desktop pc at the time and didn't think about page display differences with mobile copy.

Paul

MJK1959
Initiate
Initiate

Just got off the line with support.  Disable pan and zoom and viola...night vision works great.

bmartin42071
Guide
Guide

what if there is no phone number?

bmartin42071
Guide
Guide

I agree totally. Arlo customer contact is designed to prevent communication. Very poor, counter intuitive. A vivid example of off shoreing at its worst