Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night vision not working on one camera model: VMS3330-100AUS

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
franj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I installed my new camera successfully a few days ago. All seemed to be working fine at first but then one camera keeps recording black video at night. I went to the forum and found a thread that instructed to turn the video upside down and then back again, this worked but the next night it was black again.

I can't keep doing this every night for it to work, I need a better solution, please help? this is my 87 year old mums house who is being troubled by the neighbors coming in her yard at night and breaking things, I need this camera working so we can take some action.

16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sounds like the night illuminators aren't working on that camera...

Take the camera and open thne close the battery door...arm the camera and takt it into a dark closet/room...you should be able to see the IRs glowing slightly red around the lens.

If it's working , put back up and test... if it fails again, contact Netgear as it may have a flaw.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Karp30534
Tutor
Tutor

I've had the same issue on one of my cameras.  After a lengthy chat with Support, it was determined the root cause was my ISP Upload Speed.  I am not hitting the minimum requirement of 1mbps.  The Support Tech was very confident this was causing the issue, although, I can't say that I'm completely convinced.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd agree with you. It would seem to be a firm/hardware issue, not upload speed.
franj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree, if it were the upload speed other cameras would be affected (there are 3). Also the problem would exist in the daytime too, and it doesn't it only happens once it is dark and night vision should be working. The camera is now recording nothing at night even when I visit the house, not very happy seeing as most of the problems we are having are at night time. 

My mother is 87 and on her own, I have also installed a floodlight which is sensor activated, this comes on but not the camera. The camera seems to work fine in the daytime.

TNVOL1111
Guide
Guide

I have had the same thing happen to my 4 camera system, where one camera still senses movement and records, but the video is black at night. I have tested this camera in a dark room and can see the IR red lights coming On but the video is still dark. Netgear Support had me take the battery's out of the ARLO, turn the camera OFF on the web site, and even remove the Camera then pair back with the base station as a new camera, but nothing worked. Just sent this one camera in for a replacement camera I assume.

But I noticed that the IR function for Night Vision isn't as good as it used to be on at least one of my other camera's. Maybe I am imagining things with the one camera going completely Black on recordings at night, but has anyone else had problems with the Night Vision getting worse over time on some of their ARLO Wireless camera's? I hope my other 3 camera's don't go bad since now out of warranty in a few weeks. 

RMScholbe
Tutor
Tutor

I just got off the phone with tech Support and they had me do the same. It fixed my issue of my camera taking "Black" videos at night. TS told me to monitor for 48 hours and call them back if the problem returned.

paulwicker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. About 25% of the time the videos at night are all black. I followed the instructions as stated above and it has about the same failure rate. About to go back to customer support. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

paulwicker,

If the troubleshooting above does not help, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Karp30534
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC wrote:

paulwicker,

If the troubleshooting above does not help, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Yes, I have contacted Tech Support.  It was Tech Support that concluded it was my Upload Speed that was causing the issues and NOT a hardware issue that needed to be replaced.  I do not buy that explanation, however, since no other cameras have problems.  That being said, I have changed the malfunctioning camera with the one from inside the house so it's easier to pop the battery door when needed rather than having to get up on the ladder every few days.  For me, the problem is solved as best as it's going to be, I think.  But it's still an issue regardless especially given the comments here from others with the same problems and on other forums and other review sites.

Don7019
Guide
Guide
I'm having the same night vision issue on just one of my 3 cameras. I tried the reboot and resync actions but didn't work. Last night I tried switching cameras. That is, the camera in my driveway that is not showing night vision - I moved it to the back of the house. The camera in the back that was properly displaying night vision - I moved to the driveway. I fully expected that the night vision problem would be moved to the back of the house with the "problemed" camera. But not so. The problem was still on the driveway. The driveway side of my house is the furthest away from my wi fi router and Arlo base station. It has only 2 bars of wi fi detection where the other 2 cameras have all 3 bars. I'm not real technical but I assume that would impact the upload speed and explain why I can't get night vision on driveway. Does that make sense?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The location really shouldn't affect whether the IR illuminators work.  Have you tested to verify that they light up at night - should see a dull red glow around the lens?  You can also move the camera into a dark room and test.  Post a screenshot of your driveway view - maybe it's a positioning thing.

Don7019
Guide
Guide
Thanks. It seems all cameras do properly show night vision. But if I put one of those cameras in the driveway, the night vision doesn't work. That's why I thought the location (specifically, distance from router) might be the culprit. I saw an earlier post that suggested night vision needed a certain upload speed to work.

If I can figure out how to post a screenshot of driveway, I will. Thank you!!!
franj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it does make sense except all my 3 cameras have full bars. I have not tried moving them, although I have tried all the other trouble shooting steps with no luck.

It's a shame this system seems to suffer from this problem, it is otherwise good. I am a bit dissapointed about battery life also in the traffic areas. I have one camera that picks up random movement from the road, I have tried to reposition it a few times and changed the sensitivity lever with no luck. The battery drains rapidly because it is working more than the others.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

That's why its a good idea to start using rechargeable batteries, the recommended Tenergy 3.7v gold colored ones if you can get them

franj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am in Australia, I don't know if I can get the Tenergy 3.7v gold here. 

Does anybody know if these batteries are available for sale in Australia?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

several were posting about not able to get til someone posted this:

I have had success with purchasing Tenergy batteries and charger in Australia.

Go to a site called Ubuy.com. I have paid and had delivered the Tenergy charger and Batteries No Problems getting them here.

I have charged them and are now using  them. They seem to work great, the battery's indicator shows full.

here is the linc. https://www.u-buy.com.au/