Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

I recently purchased the Arlo 3camera totally wireless system at my local big box store. got home and set everything up according to the quickstart guide. Honestly didn't get far though. The internet light on the base station never came on. Tried everything I could think of before calling support. After almost an hour of going over the same things I had tried (power cycle, factory reset, new cable, new port,  power cycle the router etc.....) still no luck. she suggested I call my isp and see if they can help me then disconnected the call....... called isp, of course, they said I should call the mfg of the product. so I called back with my ticket number. again went through the whole spiel of explaining everything I had already done. Thought that's what the ticket was for. but anyways. was told we needed port 80,123,443 opened. and to call back once the isp had done that for me. Speaking yet again with the isp they informed me port 80was in use and port 44e was also not available. now to my understanding and out of everything I have read on here these ports are an integral part of this system working. what else can I do? I am honestly lost. and pretty pissed. arlo tells me thats what has to be done. isp says it cant be done; and big box wont accept a return on the open item because they cant guarantee I didn't damage it during installation. So I'm over 400$ in this and going on 15hours and not a single thing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Electronics fails - nothing is 100%. It would be faster to swap at the store but using support to get an RMA will work, too.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Could you borrow a 3rd party modem/router from a friend and see if that work?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Who owns your router?  If it's yours, factory reset the router and try again.  Of course, you'll also need to set up your WiFi configuration, etc. all over again.  Just leave any security settings alone.

JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

tried resetting the router. subsequently locked out of router and wifi shutdown. wouldn't let me log back into router even with a whole slew of "default" un & pw.... finally had to cal isp to fix it lol. they did open port 123 and this time told me port 80 and 443 were always open. also told me that I would have to cal back Monday about the dnhc for the base station. is this a necessary part of the setup? I hope so because mine still isn't working. for a system that was supposed to be so easy to set up this has not been the case at all. anyone have any more ideas that i can try other than waiting the entire weekend to get this going?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This sounds more like an office network than at home....

yes ....normally on a home router, when the base unit is plugged in the router would issue an IP address. This is done usu without any other interaction on your part.

Without an IP address, the base can not function

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

This is all setup on a home network. The router is a vmg4325-b10a. when I plug in the arlo base station a new item shows up in my wireless networks list as NTGR_VMB_1041438268. tried to find it through the ipconfig in cmd on windows. but honestly, dont know what im looking for. So any more information would be greatly appreciated. And if any more information is required please let me know.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The router usu will issue an IP addres to the unit from the available IP addresses

( Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) The temporary IP address is called a dynamic IP address )

The Arlo base unit will not function without it... Sorry but not knowledgeable on that router .. maybe someone else will chime in

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

JonathanJ1978 wrote:

This is all setup on a home network. The router is a vmg4325-b10a. when I plug in the arlo base station a new item shows up in my wireless networks list as NTGR_VMB_1041438268. tried to find it through the ipconfig in cmd on windows. but honestly, dont know what im looking for. So any more information would be greatly appreciated. And if any more information is required please let me know.

Ipconfig only tells you what the computer itself is configured for. You have to log into the router to see what the base may have assigned. Does the router have an LED lit on the port that the base is plugged into?  If not, there's an issue with the router port, the cable or the base port. Switch cables and try different ports on the router.  If still no good, it's likely yhat the base has a problem. Swap systems at the store or open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

Router indicates which port the base station is plugged into. when switching ports it continues to do so. I will have to get username and pw from isp for the router. what information should I be looking for when I get logged in? i.e. what is the base station listed as in the router config? again thanks for all the help and quick responses. Sorry if this seems redundant i consider myself pretty technically inclined but this one has me stumped.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

i went back and forth with tech support for a while until they finally concluded my network is fine and sent a replacement base station with which everything went smoothly

JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

That seems to be the case here. Quite annoying though. At this price point, you would think these things would just work. gonna try one more time with Arlo & isp support tomorrow and then request a replacement base station. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Electronics fails - nothing is 100%. It would be faster to swap at the store but using support to get an RMA will work, too.

JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

tried taking it back. the manager refused return stating that I couldn't prove I didn't damage it during installation. so if they won't issue an rma  I'm pretty much s.o.l. which is very upsetting.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open the case. I can't imagine that an RMA wouldn't be issued.

JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

I have an open case. Just called in they are refusing to replace the base station because it is not registered to my arlo account. I don't have an arlo account associated with my email address because you can't set one up when it won't connect to the internet.... Thier solution was to take it back to "big-box" and demand a replacement. As I said before they will not take a return due to the product already being installed. Requested escalation "no supervisor is here he'll call you back in a few hours"  At this point I'm sure I sound like an a**hole on the phone. Stop breath compose myself and apologize if I sound upset with csr because I know he just works there and is doing his job. But this is ridiculous. 400$ and 4days in and I still don't have a working system or even a hint of a solution to make it right. I understand "big-box's" position on it. But as to why netgear wont let me just send them the defective one and get a new one is beyond me....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JonathanJ1978,

I was able to review your case and it appears an RMA has been approved. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

JamesC

JonathanJ1978
Tutor
Tutor

Yes after the callback they have issued an rma free of charge. Thank you to everyone for their input and guidance along the way.