Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Arlo_Llama
Tutor
Tutor

Model is

• VMS3430-100NAR

I couldnt enter it above. 4 pack of refurbs from best buy.

I really like this system I just have one issue with it. First i'll have to describe how it is setup. My arlo system is in my garage hooked to a powerline adapter which is hooked to the router in my living room. Camers all connect fine, am able to view videos and everything there is just one problem. The arlo causes frequesnt and consistent packet loss on my powerline network. I have ran multiple tests and everything else I run on the powerline runs jsut fine with %0 loss. When I hook up the Arlo I start getting packet loss/ packet lag about every 45-60 seconds. For most things this does not matter as buffering can handle that with streaming and web browsing goes so fast I dont care if it takes an extra second to load. I can't play any sort of video games online with this though. Constant packet loss leads to pretty major and unplayable lag.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? Or make it so the arlo can't just muscle out the rest of the data when it needs to do whatever it is that it does every minute?

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First question is ,  what is your total data thru-put

There are mins sugguested by Netgear and each camera can add to the total at times

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have never used a powerline adapter.  I'd try troubleshooting this using either a long Ethernet cable or a WiFi extender temporarily to see if the problem still exists.  It could be a base and/or powerline problem. Are the cameras recording at the times you see this or everything is quiet?  Any Q cameras or just wireless with a base?  Have you tried setting the router's QoS setting to reserve upload bandwidth?  I've had to do this to successfully stream while uploading large amounts of data or the streaming would stutter (I just knocked off .1-.2Mb/s off the rated upload speed but you may need to experiment).

The base needs to keep in touch with the server but I have no idea how much and how often.

Arlo_Llama
Tutor
Tutor

It's 100 mbps.

Arlo_Llama
Tutor
Tutor

It seems to be the same whether the camers are recording or not. I'm highly suspecting it is some sort of check in the ARLO system is doing to keep it constantly connected. Just changed the routers QoS yesterday and it's still happening. I also took the ARLO off the powerline and it still seems to be happening with the ARLO having its own dedicated ethernet port. I'm starting to think it might be my router.

I don't think I have any ARLO q's...im pretty sure i dont but ill double check.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If the issue remake with the base connected directly to the router, it's either the base or the router. Have you power cycled the router? It might be worth resetting the router and check for firmware updates. Do you have access to a different router of any sort to plug in temporarily?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Also, open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.
Arlo_Llama
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah I performed a power cycle on the router, the powerline, the modem. There was a firmware update but it was the same after the update. Do Arlo's need a firmware update? I'll also open a support ticket.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base and cameras do get occasional firmware updates but you should see the notifications in your app or browser.  You can always check your versions against the latest by checking the Release Notes section here.