Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Re-Boot was there a firmware upgrade last nite?

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
GumbyD
Guide
Guide

Today 2017 Mar 30 first the Arlo Website was off line this morning for quite awhile. When it did come up 3 of my 5 cameras where offline and after waiting for hours for things to return to normal it was a reboot which fixed that problem. I should point out that these cameras require a ladder to access and this is not a fun thing to have to do esp. when/if the weather is not the best.

So was there a firmware upgrade last nite?

Did anyone else have this problem with the cams offline?

EDIT - Not to mention you then have to go back to each cam and adjust, adjust, and adjust again, again, and again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Early yesterday morning, we experienced some technical issues with the Arlo environment and some customers may have been unable to connect to their cameras. We have restored full functionality and you should no longer be experiencing issues. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

JamesC

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yes, there was a very recent firmware update as well as the server issue. One could have​ been affected by the other or not. However, my bases and cameras came back online by themselves once I figured out that restarting the base wasn't going to solve anything. Such reconnection is the normal process and intervention is not normally needed.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

I also suspected a firmware update and found nothing worked this morning.  Restarted my base station a few times without luck or it was up only a few minutes.  Then found out Netgear was having problems at their servers end.  By noon or so that cleared and all came back online without having to reset any cams.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Early yesterday morning, we experienced some technical issues with the Arlo environment and some customers may have been unable to connect to their cameras. We have restored full functionality and you should no longer be experiencing issues. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

JamesC

Tonstar1
Luminary
Luminary
It's still happening 😠😠😠
DesertCoconut
Initiate
Initiate

This morning I noticed no motion detection on any of my 5 cameras. I checked the base station and noticed the power LED was amber and the other 2 were green. I rebooted the base station and the power and internet changed to green, but the camera LED remained off. I had to plug in each of my cameras and perform the firmware upgrade by hitting a button on the mobile app. The batteries all appeared to be dead even though they were all above 50% when they last reported in on 3/29. One of my rarely used ones was above 90%. I'm still in the process of recharging all of the batteries which takes a long time for 5 cameras since I only have 2 chargers. So did the firmware upgrade keep trying and drain all of my batteries? And why didn't I get any notifications that my batteries were low? Four of my cameras require climbing a ladder and repositioning. I hope this is an isolated event and does not happen every time there is a firmware upgrade. I am an IT professional and I understand that there are server issues that can happen, but the lack of communiction to users is unacceptible.  

GumbyD
Guide
Guide

I agree. When possible notice should be provided before. If not before then after.

Esp. when there is any kind of upgrade in the IT field a short description of the reasons for the changes and what they affect is pretty Standard Operating Procedure (SOP).

IanBoug
Aspirant
Aspirant

My system has also been intermittently reporting as offline for the past few days. The system appears to have gone offline at around 03:00 UK time this morning. I noticed at around 07:45. The indicator lights were all green but nothing actually working. Reboot kicked it back into life.

Intallation has been working reliably since August last year until last week.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think it was highly unfortunate that both a firmware update and a server outage occurred nearly simultaneously.

gderdman45
Aspirant
Aspirant

My camera system is located at my cabin many hours away.  The camera states theat the Arlo device is offline.  Is there anyway to get past this firmware upgrade remotely without having to drive back up to the cabin and handle the situation in person?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Unfortunately, no. The only things that would help in the future would be 1) a UPS/battery backup for the modem, router, and base and 2) a remotely operable switch such as a WeMo that would allow you to power cycle the base without being present. Right now, physical presence is needed.
gderdman45
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.

So i would power down the base and then just re sync the cameras?  

Just wanted to check on what the real solution is so i don't spend a ton of time once i get up there.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You may not need to resync the cameras but if there are issues, remove them from Settings, My Devices and then resync.
Yahoogirlz13
Tutor
Tutor

I have lost everything n my library was there a few hours ago and now nothing and I'm not only one. cameras are working fine just not saving to library. tried reset and reboot still no library

Honda7394555
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ditto
Kevin34472
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still having issues please help
Yahoogirlz13
Tutor
Tutor

I just resynced one camera and everything seems back to normal

Gumby-Arlo
Tutor
Tutor
Ditto. 1st lost all the cams. Had to reboot the base station then noticed the library gone. Looks like there was an upgrade on 5/18/2017 too.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There was a temporary limitation displaying thumbnails and videos the Arlo library. This issue has been resolved. Please contact customer support if you have any questions.  Thank you!

JamesC