Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rechargeable batteries

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know if the now available Tenergy rechargeable batteries are compatible with the arlo system from 2016. Arlo 3000?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

So It is all figured out. The first rechargeable kit was faulty and did not work properly and therefore did not work with my cameras.  After exchanging it for a new rechargeable kit, the rechargeable batteries charge and are working great.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
manfredz
Hero
Hero

never heard of an arlo 3000 cam.  There's the Arlo VMB3000 base station which can use both the Arlo and Arlo Pro cams.

The Tenergy rechargeables will not work with the Arlo Pro cams which use a proprietory rechargeable battery/

The Tenergy 3.7v rechargeables work with the Arlo cam (but not the identically sized 3.0v Tenergys)

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

What I meant was the base is 3000, since I could find a number on it.  The cameras I don't know. They look like current ones out there.  The packaging on the Tenergy box says compatible with VMC 3030. How do I know what my camera is?  All the packaging of cameras at Best Buy do not even have VMC 3030 on them and Best Buy is selling the rechargeables as if they are compatible with all models of cameras ie VMC 4030, VCM 3040 etc.  So I am trying to find out if the rechargeables work with anything other than what is specifically stated on the packaging box which is only VCM 3030

manfredz
Hero
Hero

unless i'm mistaken the various numbers refer to base station with different numbers of cameras

here you can see what the different cameras look like

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Smart-Home-Security/ct-p/Arlo

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the base is VMB3000.  My guess is my cameras are just Arlo. There was no pro or baby or anything like that when I purchased them in 2016.  So what is the VMC3030 on the box of the rechargeable packaging?  I couldn't get anyone to answer any of the phone numbers I called for Customer Support for Arlo/Netgear.  It should be stated more clear on the packaging of this rechargeable package what is compatible and what is not because sellers have no clue.  Hopefully Support reads these messages

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

For anyone who is trying to figure out what camera they have, there is a tiny tiny code inside the camera.  Mine are VMC3030, so supposedly the Tneregy rechageable batteries are supposed to work in my camera. FYI they don't!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

you're making this more difficult than it need be.

The original Arlo cam(s), which is what it sounds like you have take the CR123A non rechargeable and RCR123A rechargeable.

Tenergy sells a rechargeable RCr123A battery which Netgear has certified to work with the Arlo cam.  (no matter with which VMBxxxx configuration its sold).

The thing to watch is to make sure its the gold colored 3.7v rechargeables which are certified for the Arlo and not the silver colored 3.0 tenergy rechargeables which are not.

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not making it difficult. I am a consumer  who knows I have an arlo camera VMC3030 and based on the packaging the rechargeables would work based on what I read. I did not know about gold and silver contacts. Thank you for that information.  Best Buy didn't even know if they work.  They have no clue what all the numbers mean.  

It is not stated clearly enough on the packaging of the battery pack about gold and silver contacts.  VMC3030 to me means VMC3030.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

not gold or silver colored contacts but gold or silver colored batteries

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

My apologies.  Here's the thing. They are GOLD coloured batteries, 3.7v in the brand new Tenergy rechargeable kit I purchased.  Based on the packaging of this kit, and what you have told me, these should work.  They don't.  There is nothing wrong with the cameras. There is nothing wrong with the base. I know how to sync.They for whatever don't work, even though they are certified to. Thank you though.  I am not a moron, just so you know. 🙂

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I did not in any way mean to suggest you are.

So assuming you got the correct batteries, and sounds like they are, do you have a voltmeter to test voltage after you've charged them?  Should read 4.3v each.

Assuming batteries and charger are ok, one thing some people do wong is eith place them in cam wrong way round, or force them in rather than loosely drop them in letting closing the door properly seat them.   Cleaning the contacts in the cam may help although this rather is the problem.

There is also the possibility you have bad batteries or charger. Do the lights on the charger start red and then turn green to show charged?

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

You didn't :). No worries. The kit I bought is brand new.  Not even a week old.   I will try all your suggestions later.  But thank you again.

Beaglebakery
Aspirant
Aspirant

So It is all figured out. The first rechargeable kit was faulty and did not work properly and therefore did not work with my cameras.  After exchanging it for a new rechargeable kit, the rechargeable batteries charge and are working great.  Thank you.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

sometimes its as simple as that.  Enjoy the world of rechargeables.