Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB3000 Wifi dropping since software update

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wifi connection drops and won't come back online thus a useless monitoring system. I have to reset base for it to be back online. All this started since the software update. Help please🙏🏻
13 REPLIES 13
brh
Master
Master

@ProudDad

I am not sure what is going on with your system. Mine has been unaffected by the software and firmware changes. What date of software update are you talking about? Yesterday's?

Usually when a camera starts losing its connection to the base it is due to interference. Have you tried moving the base a little further from the router, (long shot here).

Brian

ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware was done Dec. 2017.  Let me repharase, Base is connected by LAN to router.  With the new firmware, Base internet connection light blinks.  However, often times, zero connection and won't come back on its own- THUS ZERO CONNECTION so we can't view from remote.   When I get home, I have to turn the Base off and on to reset for the connection to be back.  Plese help.

Dino64
Aspirant
Aspirant

It does go in and out and I had to reset mine several times.  Sometimes it could be your internet provider too. 

brh
Master
Master

@ProudDad

Have you tried the latest software updates? Maybe there was a bug that was fixed. I am assuming your problem shows up in both your mobile app and on your PC's IDE? 

Do you have other devices that are connected to your router and power source that are working fine?

Have you tried moving the base a little further away from the router?

Have you tried moving the base station to a more central location?

These are the primary reasons for the kind of problems you are having. As I said earlier, I have the same system as you and I have zero problems with updates.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The blinking Internet LED is normal - like your router, it indicates network access. Verify your firmware on all devices in Settings, My Devices, your devices, Device Info and compare to what's listed in the Release Notes section here.

When having the problem but before you power cycle the base, what do the base LEDs show?

ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
The base is harwired to the router so i don't see why moving it would make a difference ? This happened after the firmware upgrade.
ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
While I'm out of the house. Internet viewing cannot be accessed. When I get home. Only the power and camera connection lights are on (green) and no lights on the internet connection. I have power cycle the base for the internet connection to be back again. This happened after firmware upgrade .
brh
Master
Master

@ProudDad

The reason for moving the base further away from the router is because although the two are hard wired together some routers emit signals that are strong enough to interfere with the operation of the base unit. Interference can come from many places. I don't think your problem is with the base unit itself. 

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Moving the base a bit away from the router has proven effective for some users. The base creates a dedicated WiFi connection to the cameras and it seems that sometimes the signal from the router interferes with that connection, hence the supggestion to try moving it.

While it's possible that the firmware update somehow caused this, it seems more likely that it could be a hardware issue. The lack of any Internet light indicates no connection to the router itself. This can be caused by a bad cable, a bad base port or a bad router port. Sometimes restarting the router helps as does changing cables and router ports. If none of that helps, it's likely a hardware problem that will need to be addressed by opening a case with support here.

A brute force effort you can try first is to reset the system byt removing all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab and then sync the cameras.

ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hmmm....noted. Will try that fix. However, why did it only happen after the firmware update ?
ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've actually tried a hard reset but still the same. Question , why is it when the internet connection drops, it doesn't connect back on its own?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By hard reset, do you mean turning power off and on or using the factory reset procedure?

The issue with the base reconnecting after outages goes back a long way. While we can't help with an issue with the ISP, one way to help minimize the issue is to use a UPS for your modem, router and base so they all stay up during many power outages. For some reason, the base doesn't seem to keep retrying so always keeping your network and base powered helps circumvent that issue.

ProudDad
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's not the power outages. We don't have power outages, at least not in the past few weeks. In any case, I have a UPS. I turned the base off and on to reset the internet connection.

Firmware should be released for the base to keep trying to reconnect when disconnected from internet for some unknown reason.