Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
DiageoRelay
Follower
Follower

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MidnightBlue
Initiate
Initiate

Under Settings Tab at bottom of app, under Account Settings header on left, select Subscription.
Scroll to the very bottom of the page on the right and there is a Section called Base Stations. In this section hit 'Add Base Station'

Since it took me more than 15 minutes to find this setting, I figured this would be useful info.

Update: This has changed in recent UI updates. Use the Add Device button at the bottom of the cameras tab when you first log in. Choose the base station (and later any cameras) and add as desired.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Once you obtain a second base, connect it to your switch/router via ethernet cable, add to account.

Sync the cameras that are closest to each base to that base to maximize coverage area.

read this thread too;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Installation/Adding-a-second-base-station/m-p/233#M37

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
WilsonFlyer
Star
Star

If you buy a kit with a second base station and add it to an existing account, does that entitle you to 5 more cameras on your account at no cost? If that's not the case, why wouldn't you simply buy a second kit (saving a ton compared to buying the cameras stand-alone) and simply register another account and get 5 additional (free) cameras that way?

Thanks!

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

WilsonFlyer wrote:

If you buy a kit with a second base station and add it to an existing account, does that entitle you to 5 more cameras on your account at no cost?

Yes, but only, if your subscription plan supports it. So, to hook up 5+5 cameras, whether with two or one base station requires a subscription to at least the Premier plan.

WilsonFlyer wrote:

If that's not the case, why wouldn't you simply buy a second kit (saving a ton compared to buying the cameras stand-alone) and simply register another account and get 5 additional (free) cameras that way?

You can do that too - though there is no 5-camera kit available at this time that I'm aware of. Maximum is four cameras in a kit. So, you'd still have to buy one camera on its own.
The two advantages of getting a paid subscription plan over two (or three) basic plans (with ten cameras or more) is a) convenience and b) full access to all cameras from all (motion-triggered) cameras.
With two basic plans you have to use two different accounts, so you have to flip-flip with your sign-ons to administer and access all your cameras. Also, with a single account you can set up your motion-triggered rules to record on any of the other nine (or more) cameras; with two basic accounts, however, your choice gets reduced and limited to no more than four other cameras.
MidnightBlue
Initiate
Initiate
Here it says >> add to account

Where is the setting to add the second base station in the Arlo app for IPhone. Not seeing this option anywhere.
MidnightBlue
Initiate
Initiate

Under Settings Tab at bottom of app, under Account Settings header on left, select Subscription.
Scroll to the very bottom of the page on the right and there is a Section called Base Stations. In this section hit 'Add Base Station'

Since it took me more than 15 minutes to find this setting, I figured this would be useful info.

Update: This has changed in recent UI updates. Use the Add Device button at the bottom of the cameras tab when you first log in. Choose the base station (and later any cameras) and add as desired.  

slgoldberg
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is absolutely not a button that says "Add Base Station", nor is there a setting on the left that says "Base Stations!"  I'm so frustrated I could scream!

I paid for the Elite plan, I have 2 base stations, and I just got a third, plugged it into my network, and it comes up (the lights are green), but in the Arlo app, I see *no button* anywhere to add a base station.

I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot it. There is no information at all in the app. 😞

On my Settings page (on the iOS app on iPhone 6s), I see:

DEVICE SETTINGS

My Devices >

ACCOUNT

Profile >

Grant Access >

Subscription   -  Elite Annual >

If I click on "My Devices", which is really where this should live, I see my two base stations and cameras attached to them.  I don't see a third option, nor do I see any button to add more (which really should be here -- it's so obvious this is where the add-base-station button should live.

*Note: I only have 5 cameras connected (the goal is to add more but I can't until I solve this), so it's not like I've somehow reached my 15-camera limit.

Then I follow the instructions above and I go back and click "Subscription", which has the following options that do not match any examples I've seen online:

Elite Annual (not a button), says I can "learn more" about connecting cameras, but I don't see anything on the "learn more" page that tells me what I need to know.

CAMERAS

Supported  - Need to connect more?  15  (if I click this it just tells me I can pay more money or whatever, it's not helpful)

Connected 5 (not clickable)

Manage Camera Status >  (lets me move cameras around, but is useless since I can do that in another screen; there is no "add anything" here.

Buy more cameras? > (yet again takes me to a sales page)

I am so frustrated I could scream.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cameras tab. Add Device is at the bottom (could be offset). Click it and choose Base Station. Really can't be easier.

slgoldberg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it *could* be easier. The "Add Devices" button should be on the Devices tab in Settings as well. What ridiculously poor user interface.

Since I already have more 5 cameras, the "Add Devices" button of which you speak is *way* down below the fold on the Cameras tab (which isn't called "Cameras", it's just a little camera icon, which makes your one-line reply while correct not as useful as it could have been for other unsuspecting users out there).

Why there is no Help/user manual is beyond me, too. I click "help" and I get this forum, instead of a simple instruction manual where I coudl have readily searched. (I searched, got this thread, found the "answer" above, and it was not correct. That's the point -- the supposedly correct answere here is not correct. It's *absolutely maddening* for a user to just want to find the answer to a simple question but instead to have to navigate confusing and often out of date collection of user-to-user posts. This should not have been so hard to find.)

Yes, the *RIGHT ANSWER* is:

"You can't add devices from the Settings tab, so don't waste your time going there. All mentions of adding devices on the Settings tab are upsells that take the unsuspecting user out of the application and over to Safari where you find yourself being asked to sign in only to find out they're trying to upsell you. Don't click those links, they will confuse you and take you far away from the task at hand!  Instead, even though there are obvious places where an "Add" button should exist to actually bring up the device addition UI, there is only *one* place you can get that UI from -- and it's not in Settings!  Instead, click on the camera icon on the bottom to go to the Cameras tab, which shows the actual current cameras (not any configuration options). And there, in the one place you wouldn't expect it (since it's not a settings/configuration tab but an operations tab), scroll *all the way down* to the bottom, after all your existing camera images.  There, and only there, you will see a button to add new devices.  Click that button, and it will (finally) present you with a long list of possible things you could add. (Which of course is stupid since users usually already know exactly what kind of "thing" they want to add, and so they should be able to do it from the screen for those "things", but I digress...)  On that screen, you'll see a button (finally) to add a new base station.  And then it's trivial -- assuming you're on the same network (which I was), it just comes right up and you're good to go."

Of course, wouldn't it have been *even that much easier* if:

(a) there had been a button on the Settings screen (e.g. in the devices screen that shows the base station(s) you currently have) that said "+" (or "add new base station") in the list of base stations?, and/or:

(b) the app actually had a visible control that appeared somewhere in the main user experience that said, "hey, I just saw you added a new base station since it just came online on the same network -- shoudl I add it for you?"  That would have sure been super nice, huh., or:

(c) [best option] the app actually *automatically included* the new base station in the list of base stations on the "Settings > Devices" view?  I mean, to set up a new base station, you simply tell it the time-zone and then you go back and hit "continue" and then it's in your list!  So, what the heck!? All this complexity just to force me to assign a time-zone to the base station? Why not just use my current time-zone by default, and/or the time-zone associated with my other base station(s), and auto-add the device straight away?  It obviously "just works" from a technical perspective, the only question it asks to set it up is the time-zone. You don't even need a name for the base station, since it uses the ID by default. So, why on earth would you even need me to click "add device > add base station"? Why not just auto-add it to my list, so it just shows up in "My Devices" and/or on the Cameras tab?  Grrrr!!!!

Thanks.

Steve