Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation
tr1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a basic arlo system running version 2.4.1.

I found a thread with a similar issue from 2016 but didn't see a final resolution, and when I clicked the link to add to the thread it did not take me to a screen that allowed that.

I have recently received a notification that my front door camera was activated, but when checking the library there is no video.

Also as in the other post that reported this issue I have seen intermittent issues with missing video such as someone coming and being recorded but no recording when they left - which in one case included an article of clothing that was stolen by being worn out of the front door but no video to identify the perp.

Any idea what could be causing these issues?

19 REPLIES 19
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Others have had incidences where they've received a motion detection notification but no video in the library. Obviously the video isn't available until it has finished uploading so if you have the camera set to record for one minute, it will probably be 1:30 before the video is available. Additionally, some have found the video appears in their library hours after the event. This may be due to an issue with the AWS cloud servers

The motion detection is PIR. It works well if the heat signature moves across the field of view but if the subject moves towards or away from the camera, the PIR has a harder time picking it up. Positioning the camera so there's some lateral movement across the FOV is helpful.

Additionally, for optimal results, turn the camera motion sensitivity up to 100. Each time you get a false alert within say 30 mins of a previous false alert eg trees moving in wind, turn the sensitivity down one. You might get down to 89 or 91 before you find the optimal balance of recording what you want to record (people coming and going) and not having a lot of false trigger recordings. Err on the higher side. If you have half a dozen false triggers a day, that's probably not too bad as long as you're getting what you need

Watcher1960
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm the issue with a notification to my iphone, without storing a video in libary. That can't be a motion detection Problem, because i get an Alarm ( notification ) due to the motion event. My Arlo Pro System has just one Camera . Camera and Station have newest Firmware installed. My camera is inside the house surveilling the front door. I get a notification ( Iphone App ) when my wife comes home. I got no video and no email.  3 minutes later my wife passes the front door again. This time  everything ist OK. Notification on IPhone , email and Video. It seems when the System gets the first "Alarm" for hours ( no events in the last 8 hours before ) that the System is not able to cature the video of the first event.   

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary

Same issue as mentioned on other strings.  Notification and no video or 2 hour delays in alerts and emails, etc.  I have had mine almost 2 years and this inconsistency just started ~6-7 weeks ago.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button). Allow the base station to come back online with a solid green power and internet LED. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary

Have done this and it is still working inconsistently - about 50% of the time it works correctly.  Just started about 6-7 weeks ago after having these for almost 2 years.

SteveR_Burbank
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same issue which is I receive a notificaiton on my phone almost instanly when motion is detected, then no corresponding email or video in the library.  I checked and I have the latest software on my phone which is 2.4.2_17124. Do I need to update software on the Arlo Base Station?

This has been something that has began to occur in the last 6 months.  Previously it was working with out this issue.  Videos either show up minutes or hours late, or not at all.

Is there another fix for this issue?

Thanks,

Steve.

Watcher1960
Aspirant
Aspirant

The restart of the base-station solved the Problem.

I tested it for the last 7 days. (approx. 20 notifications in total )
At the moment everything seems to be OK.

I get the notification , get an email and have the video in the library.
I have no delays , all events are reportet in real time (may be that there are some seconds delay...)

It seems to me , that my Problem began when the last update was finished.
And i presume, that  it  was solved with the first manual station-restart after the Update. 
Important - an additional manual station restart ( not the automatic restart after Update )

I hope it keeps  running like that.

JasonTF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've just noticed the same problem. Dozens of alerts by phone and email each day, but no video recordings posted for several days. No live video available, but status shows connected.

Problem is, I'm travelling (that's why I have the Arlo—so I can keep track of my office while away), so I cannot troubleshoot, manually reboot, etc. It was working fine, but now not so. Confirmed wifi network is fine.

Frustring issue. Would like to know what, if any, options I have for remote correction of this.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JasonTF

Consider rebooting the base station. This can be done remotely by navigating to Settings > My Devices > select your base station > Restart.

Are you still seeing the same behavior?

JamesC

Bgoodi78
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue for me. Dozens of notifications but no posts to the library.

I am out of state so resetting the base is not an option.

Worthless for security, I will be posting this in my online reviews.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

How about just restarting the base from your app or computer?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bgoodi78,

A base station reboot can be done remotely. Navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your base station > Restart.

JamesC

CAPTWINDOWS
Tutor
Tutor
Having same issue but with just one camera reg arlo basic plan thought maybe it was something to do with the1gb limit as this camera is prone to lots of false alerts due to foliage and Christmas decorations in the wind
tr1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don’t know that a storage limit is the problem. I have a front door camera with no false alerts but will drop known activity feeds. I’ve had 2 malicious activities since install and neither was saved to my library.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Storage isn't a problem - the limit hasn't been enforced for years now.

Post screenshots of the camera views for suggestions of why detections may be getting missed.

CAPTWINDOWS
Tutor
Tutor
In my case detection isn't the problem it detects and notifies me just doesn't save any video
tr1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree. I’ve had known activities that were missed and I feel like I have seen a motion notification but when checking for new activity no feed was saved. If some feeds are dropped then what is the point of having this system?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These are 2 different things:

1) A notification with no video may be due to a filter being set in the library. Make sure the filter is cleared (funnel icon is not filled in). There have been instances of missing videos, however, though it seems like most show up some time later. Try turning on email notifications so you get a link for possible viewing.

2) Missed detections can be due to many things such as motion toward the camera rather than across the FOV as well as distance and/or speed of motion. In this case, posting a screenshot with a description of the motion would be helpful.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Also, if you get the notification that motion was detected and open the app immediately and go to the library, there won't be a recording there until the recording finishes.

And also, if you get the notification and open the app and hit live view to see what it was that triggered the motion alert, the recording will stop and you have to manually hit record in the live view window to get a recording. I don't like that this is the way it is but unfortunately, this is the way it is