Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

overheat arlo wireless camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Electrosynapsis
Follower
Follower

My camera became unresponsive, saying it was not online.

I  investigated this 4 hours later the IR was on (was lit up red) and would not turn off when in light and again showed as unresponsive.

I took the camera off the wall and it was hot to the touch. When I took the batteries out and touched them they were extremely warm. Also, this is an  in indoor never in the sun.

I then put the original batteries back in taken out from earlier and I recieved an email that my batteries are low.

I changed the batteries and it is working again.

Could this be a potential fire hazard? Why would the Arlo glitch to that extent? It is a camera and failed at doing what it is designed to do.

I am using energizer batteries to my knowledge.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you were using the OEM batteries, IMO the chance of a fire is low..they don't have a high & long discharge rate ( like some li-ion cells in phones )

The fact that it was warm is prob the heat from the IR , which are light emiting diodes , and they can get quite warm if on for a long time.

I would keep a close eye on it , power button recycle the base just in case a command got messed up...and if it happens again it prob would be time to contact Netgear Support.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------