802.11ax: WAX series?

Michael9
Tutor

802.11ax: WAX series?

Currently the most powerful Netgear business wireless device is the WAC540 Tri-Band 4x4 Wireless Access Point. What about next generation? When does Netgear plan to release IEEEE 802.11ax business access points? Will we be able to buy them in 2019 or have to wait until 2020?

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: 802.11ax: WAX series?

Who knows ... Netgear won't provide insight on their business plans.

Key point is the fact that 802.11ax (WiFi 6) is still in draft state - final apprval won't be before January 2020, official publication not before June 2020. FMI: http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/tgax_update.htm

Message 2 of 8
BretD
Admin

@Michael9 while I cannot share any timelines for product development at this time, NETGEAR is very commited to the WiFi6 (802.11ax) space. To learn more about WiFi 6 and the products we currently offer in the consumer space, check out our WiFi 6 Landing page.

One concern I have in particular from a business access point perspective is that most of the WiFi6 routers that we make use quite a bit of power due to the hardware involved. That means standard 30w PoE+ may not deliver enough power as of yet. I'm looking forward to a WAX line myself though... and gotta love that name. 🙂

Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@BretD wrote:

One concern I have in particular from a business access point perspective is that most of the WiFi6 routers that we make use quite a bit of power due to the hardware involved. That means standard 30w PoE+ may not deliver enough power as of yet.

Competitive 5 GHz 802.11ax 4x4:4 MIMO and 2.4GHz 802.11ax 2x2:2 MIMO business AP with GbE interface can be operatred at reduced power on the basic 802.11af, at full power and load 802.3at (PoE+), models with 5 GHz 802.11ax 8x8:8 MIMO and 2.4GHz 802.11ax 4x4:4 MIMO and MultiGig (2.5/5GbE) interface pluse a GbE [with the USB port disabled - what for a business AP needs a USB port?] can be powered on 802.3at (PoE+).

Different are 802.11ax business AP with multiple 5 GHz 802.11ax 8x8:8 MIMO and 2.4GHz 802.11ax 4x4:4 MIMO radios and (power hungry) 10 GbE - these need to be powered by 802.3bt on type 3 (55W).

Message 4 of 8
BretD
Admin

Dont worry @schumaku AX is a huge priority for all of NETGEAR and not just the consumer products. AX/WiFi6 was just finally confirmed to be 100% complete just a week or two ago. Based on the number of AX devices out there, things are still baking from a business products standpoint. If you use a AC device on an AX signal it has to "downgrade" to AC anyway. SO even if there was an AX AP out there, 99% of the time it will be operating at "AC" levels anyway. 

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@BretD thank you for the update. Key reason for my post was the somewhat pessimistic 802.11ax PoE power requirements mentioned before.

@BretD wrote:

AX/WiFi6 was just finally confirmed to be 100% complete just a week or two ago.

Ratification and setting the standard in place will take some more months.

Message 6 of 8
BretD
Admin

@schumaku wrote:

@BretD wrote:

AX/WiFi6 was just finally confirmed to be 100% complete just a week or two ago.

Ratification and setting the standard in place will take some more months.

Oh man! Confirmed... *and* rattified. I have to take a second look at that! Thanks @schumaku !

Message 7 of 8
jec956613
Tutor

@BretD wrote:

If you use a AC device on an AX signal it has to "downgrade" to AC anyway. SO even if there was an AX AP out there, 99% of the time it will be operating at "AC" levels anyway. 

That's not entirely true, even communicating to 100% 802.11ac devices, 802.11ax has significant advatanges in handling multiple clients, almost like going to an 802.11ac Wave 3 (if such a device existed).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements