× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: AP not recognizing PoE

backwoodnet
Tutor

AP not recognizing PoE

I have recently upgraded my home network, I am trying to use a PoE switch (GS108PEv3) to power an AP (WAC510). All purchased new last week. The AP will not power on when I connect to the swtich. The switch firmware has been updated. Connection was initially attempted through previously installed cat 5e cable (<25m) but when that didn't work I tried a 1m 5e cable to the switch. I do not have the optional power cord for the AP so I can't connect to it to determine any settings. 

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE, WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
backwoodnet
Tutor

I purchased a second WAC510 to test out the issue, everything worked as expected with the new one. It appears the PoE port was bad on the original device. Thank you all for the suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @backwoodnet 

Could you please let us know the LED status? Have you connected any other PoE devices to the same switch? 

Check out the power budget from the following link and ensure power budget is enough.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/Gigabit_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS.pd...

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 7
backwoodnet
Tutor

Thank you for the response. No LEDs light up when I make the connection (either the AP or the switch, port or PoE status). The switch does recognize other devices I have plugged in (garage door opener gateway) into the non-PoE ports. I just purchased everything so I haven't tested any other devices.This AP is the only thing that I have on the switch, and I have no plans to add anything else. 

Message 3 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @backwoodnet 

Could you please let us know which port of WAC510  you have connected? I hope you are connecting with WAN port (Yellow)? Please confirm.  Do you have any other PoE devices that can be powered up with the same port?  You can attach the monitoring page screen shot of the switch ( port status). Please let me know which port of the switch you have connected WAC510?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 4 of 7
backwoodnet
Tutor

I have tried all of the PoE ports (1 through 4), and am using the PoE port on the AP (yellow ports). 

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@backwoodnet wrote:

I have tried all of the PoE ports (1 through 4), and am using the PoE port on the AP (yellow ports). 

As @RaghuHR mentioned, the WAC510 has two ports: One labelled WAN (yellow), one labelled LAN. The yellow WAN port is in use for PoE AP configuration. That's the other key!

Is the network cable a standard, four pair/eight strand one with the colours in the same sequence on both ends?

Message 6 of 7
backwoodnet
Tutor

I purchased a second WAC510 to test out the issue, everything worked as expected with the new one. It appears the PoE port was bad on the original device. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements