Access Point, Bridge, Repeater, or ???

MilesBFree
Aspirant

Access Point, Bridge, Repeater, or ???

Hi,

I would like to ask the community's advice on what type of device is needed for the following scenario:

It doesn't seem like it should be too complicated, but I am not an expert in WiFi.

The key requirements are:

1. The new device (Device X) needs to be able to be connected by plain old twisted pair cable to the main network. The WiFi signal is weak past a point I represented by a wall so a cheap range extender like the Netgear WN2500RP won't work. Point-to-point WiFi extenders won't work either.

2. The SSID should be the same for devices regardless of which access point they connect to.

3. Ideally the access points should hand the client device (laptop, iPad, etc.) off seamlessly as the signal gets weak form one and stronger on the other. (Everything else I am looking to do should be dead simple, but if the users need to switch manually and the hand-off can't be automatic, I could live with that.)

4. The client devices should be on the same subnet.

I believe that another WNDAP350 would work but am not sure of the configuration required. It would also be a pricey option for something that I want to operate in a kind of "dumb" mode.

Any recommendations on what to buy for Device X?

Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Access Point, Bridge, Repeater, or ???

I would go with a WNDAP350 it's only $300 and it is a Pro Safe product

I would think other than wifi channels and it's IP the setup would be identical to allow seamless roaming.

Nice drawing!
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I believe that another WNDAP350 would work but am not sure of the configuration required. It would also be a pricey option for something that I want to operate in a kind of "dumb" mode.

just use any inexpensive access point but if you want to use same SSID then I think you will be better off use same one WNDAP350
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
MilesBFree
Aspirant

Thanks searay and June, I appreciate it!
Message 4 of 5
rtpitts123
Aspirant

Is the WNDAP350 a mature product unlike the 660 ?
TIA
Rich
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements