× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Advise needed in WAC540 and WAC564 network

Lambik2000
Follower

Advise needed in WAC540 and WAC564 network

Dear community,

I hope you can help me a little. I will describe my situation but also made a drawing to make that visible.

I want to have a good coverage in my whole house and therefore I decided to invest in business equipment.

I bought a Netgear WAC540 and a Netgear PoE switch to install in my living room. I the living room I have to connect wired devices like TV, Media Player, Set top box. I also want to have good Wifi for the family connecting laptops and smart phones.

Therefore I have an ethernet cable from my telecom provider's modem in the garage towards my WAC540 (set up as Root).

This works all fine. The Wifi needs at my ground floor are fullfilled.

At the first floor my kids occupy bedroom2 and bedroom 3 where they use smartphone, laptop and Playstation.

To provide wifi connectivity I initially installed a WAC564 in their bedroom. Each set up as Extender.

Wifi performance in bedroom2 is good. Was expected because the WAC564 is almost above the WAC540 at the underlying floor.

Wifi performance in bedroom3 is really poor causing the playstation be unusable for playing online. Wifi speedtest is very low.

I found out that each WAC564 connects individually to the WAC540 on the gound floor but apparently the distance between the WAC540 and the WAC564 in bedroom3 is way to far. Very disappointing because I have a nomal mid-sized house and I use business equipment...

When I switch off the WAC564 in bedroom3 then the clients in bedroom3 connect to the WAC564 in bedroom2 and performance is better than before but still not as expected.

Conclusion until now is that a have better result with only one WAC564 on my first floor instead of two WAC564 !

Does someone has better ideas to improve the performance at first floor ?

I have already some questions :

1. Can I configure my WAC564 in bedroom3 to connect to the WAC564 in bedroom2 instead of the WAC540 ?

2. Can I place the WAC564 from bedroom3 in the garage (at a place just below bedroom3) and connect the WAC564 to the cable modem with an ethernet cable and have it act as an access point ?

3. Can I place an additional WAC540 in the garage (at a place just under bedroom3) and connect it to the cable modem with an ethernet cable ? Would that mean that I then have 2 WAC540 each configured as Root ? Can I then still use the same SSID everywhere ?

4. Or, is it advisible to switch to another solution like Orbi ?? I hope not because of my investment I did.

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Advise needed in WAC540 and WAC564 network

Consider adding two Ethernet cables from the PoE switch from the living room to the bedroom 2 and 3. Alternate move the PoE switch to another central location suited better for cabling.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements