× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Airbridge questions with no answers

Angssatra
Aspirant

Airbridge questions with no answers

question 1. why does it need it's own separate poe injector? why can't i use for example a GC108PP to power this. it makes no sense. I have not been able to find an explanation.
question 2. is lan2 port on the device poe-passthrough, meaning can the provided poe injector power something through the Lan2 port on the airbridge? and if it can whats the power allotment?
question 3. is line of sight required for connection? is it possible to airbridge through thin walls? I.e see attached picture. The idea is to create a multipoint link to two satellite sites. They're within 30 and 70 meters each. The closer site does not have line of sight, it's missing about 3 meters, so the corner of a building is in the way, the building is not concrete or dense.
question 4. does the device have to be mounted "front towards enemy" only? meaning does the front of the airbridge have to face the other unit, or can i mount it so that the back is turned to it? will beamforming work 360 degrees? Or only within the 30 ish degrees I read somewhere.
those are just the questions on top of my head. no answers to be found anywhere.
I've already ordered 3 and set up 2 of them, although since I'm missing the third I've not yet started them up.
Model: WBC502 Insight Instant Wireless AirBridge
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Angssatra,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

question 1. why does it need it's own separate poe injector? why can't i use for example a GC108PP to power this. it makes no sense. I have not been able to find an explanation.

The WBC502 access point can only be powered using the included 24V PoE injector.  It cannot be powered using a PoE or PoE+ switch. You should NOT use any other power source. The PoE port on the WBC502 is not a standard PoE port. Using any other power source can destroy the device.  LAN port 1 will be used for the PoE injector.

question 2. is lan2 port on the device poe-passthrough, meaning can the provided poe injector power something through the Lan2 port on the airbridge? and if it can whats the power allotment?

No.

question 3. is line of sight required for connection? is it possible to airbridge through thin walls? I.e see attached picture. The idea is to create a multipoint link to two satellite sites. They're within 30 and 70 meters each. The closer site does not have line of sight, it's missing about 3 meters, so the corner of a building is in the way, the building is not concrete or dense.

Yes, line of sight is required.  

question 4. does the device have to be mounted "front towards enemy" only? meaning does the front of the airbridge have to face the other unit, or can i mount it so that the back is turned to it? will beamforming work 360 degrees? Or only within the 30 ish degrees I read somewhere.

The AirBridge master and Satellite(s) should have a direct line of site to each other.  Be informed that the WBC502 has a high-gain directional 14 dBi Antenna with a wide frequency support from 5150MHz to 5925MHz.  The coverage angle is 40 degrees vertical and 40 degrees horizontal, resembling a cone.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Angssatra
Aspirant

Hi DaneA

for question 1

"The WBC502 access point can only be powered using the included 24V PoE injector.  It cannot be powered using a PoE or PoE+ switch. You should NOT use any other power source. The PoE port on the WBC502 is not a standard PoE port. Using any other power source can destroy the device.  LAN port 1 will be used for the PoE injector."

The above text does not answer the question WHY they didn't make it accept regular POE. just stating it's NON-standard doesn't explain anything. Why doesn't it work with standard POE or POE+? i'm perplexed why even make a product that isn't even supported by their own poe+ switches.

question 2
thanks, this is not explained anywhere, but i thought this was the case, funnily enough there are examples in written about it where you can hook up a network camera directly to the airbridge, this obviously wouldn't work without a poe injector, but is not mentioned anywhere.

question 3/4.
in your answer for question 3 you state the answer line of sight is required, however in the answer for question 4 it clearly says "should have a direct line of sight" not that it's required. This is misguiding, should it have direct line of sight or is it required? if it only should have then it would be possible it works in the scenario i have.

anyway i guess ill have to try. if the "no line of sight" and/or multipoint doesn't work i have the idea to try a mikrotik wireless wire for my secondary connection as it wouldn't require it's own poe injector.

anyway thanks for your effort to try to explain these questions

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Angssatra It's really odd using any kind of proprietary or passive PoE for this new product - especially because Netgear strictly followed and supported thre IEEE-PoE standards on virtually all other PoE products. You get it - I've challenged Netgear about this before, too. This does massively limit the possible deployment scenarios as I strongly believe in IEEE standards.

The maximum power consumption of max 8.93 W (as per the data sheet) would require a IEEE 802.3bt PoE++ PSE to have sufficient 802.3at PoE+ power (Class 0/1/2/3/4) available for pass-through. The comparable simple GS105PE specs (FMI: GS105PE PoE troubleshooting) would not be sufficient.

Conclude, the possible reasons for this product specs (proprietary passive 24V PoE and no PoE pass-through) are

• time to market, and
  • device hardware cost.

For some 150 USD per device, this won't be doable.

The reach and coverage depends on the limited antenna scope. No reasonable ways to have the same antenna gain for a 360° coverage. In a P2MP deployment, all "satellites" must reside within a 40° cone, better 30° only. A multi-stacked 360° antenna can bring similar gain, but the restriction is in the vertical coverage, the coverage ellipsis does tend to become extremely flat.

Greetings to Stockholm, Heja Sverige! 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements