× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: BR200 / WAC510 not re-assigning DHCP address when you move between access points

jamesbrownox
Tutor

BR200 / WAC510 not re-assigning DHCP address when you move between access points

I have had an intermittent problem over the last few weeks since setting up my wifi network. I have a BR200 Router and some WAC510 access points. On a number of devices now, as I move between access points the device loses its assigned DHCP IP address and the system fails to reassign an address. Going through both the Network settings and through cmd ipconfig to reset/renew an ip address does nothing. Likewise with reboot etc.  If I then move the laptop back to where it was before it picks up the IP address again.

The only way I have found around it is in the Windows network settings to radomise the hardware addresses. I have also had to do the same on my iPhone. This seems to cause the system to see it as a new device and re-assign an IP Address.

The logs from this morning when this just happended show the device connecting - "[MAC Address] wireless clinet connected" is all i get in the wifi logs and there is nothing in the Router logs

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Re: BR200 / WAC510 not re-assigning DHCP address when you move between access points

To start with...

Current firmware version on the BR200 and the WAC510?

Are the WAC510 directly connected to the BR200?

All WAC510 share the same SSID and wireless security configuration ?

Pure local management or everything on Insight cloud management?
Message 2 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

Internet in goes to BR200 (5.10.0.5)

One WAX610 off that (9.2.0.7)

Then into a managed switch GS109Tv3 (7.0.5.2)

2 x WAC510 off that network (9.2.0.6)

Another switch in garden office GS308T 

1 x WAC510 off that network (9.2.0.6)

A Wifi access points have two SSIDs (on seperate VLANs) and share configuration data.  All setup through the Insight portal (aside from a non-insight managed switch in the office)

I have a number of laptops/tablets/phones in the house that seem to be able to move between access points with no issues.  However I have 2 laptops running Windows 10 that have issues.

The issue is that a laptop that has been working gets put in standby (ie the lid is shut) and when it wakes back up again it is not assigned an IP address.  If you run the Windows network troubleshooter (that resets network adapter etc) if completes with a failure "Wifi does not have a valid IP configuration).  Likewise trying to use IPConfig /renew to get a valid IP address fails - it times out with 'unable to contact your DHCP server'

If you shen shut the lid, go back to the other access point and open up - it correctly gets an IP address.  

I have not found any pattern to show that it is a single access point with the issue.  The only workaround I have is the network setting to use a random hardware address.

Message 3 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

I have noticed a difference in the setup between the WAX610 access points and the WAC510s.  All the WAC510s have the other 510s listed in the 'Neighboring Access Points - Known Access Points' where as the WAX610 (which was installed first) does not have any known access points listed and currently all the WAC510s are listed as part of the 'Unknown Access Points'

Could this be the issue - i cannot see any way to update the list?

Message 4 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

Logged into the WAX610 directly, but does not seem to allow me to update the 'Neighbor AP' list.  I can see the other access points in the Unknown AP List, and can move them to the 'Known AP List' but the apply button does not do anything.  The button to import a file does not work either.

Unlike some other settings this is not grayed out as it is cloud managed, but I cannot update the settings.

Message 5 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

I ended up removing and the resetting the WAX610 access points.  Adding it in fresh has updated the device with the correct Neighbor AP list.  However the laptops that could not connect still have the same issue - no DHCP address is being issues.

Anybody got any ideas...?

Message 6 of 13
schumaku
Guru

This should be sooo straight forward and reliable.

The neighbour AP detection, trusted or not, has no relevance for the network operations. It's is just for information and audit purposes.

Message 7 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Double checked the VLAN config of the BR200, the two switches (especially the PVID and the primary one you might use untagged to the APs) already? 

Message 8 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

I dont think it is the VLANs as the issue is inconsistent across different devices.  My work laptop (Win10) and my daughters laptop (Mac) happily reconnect the the office wifi point and get the address.  My personal laptop (Win10) however looses the IP address.

Last night I keep the laptop on as I went between the Access Points whilst refreshing ipconfig, as it switches between Access Points the corrent IP address gets dropped and I end up with an autoallocated 169.254.xxx address and am unable to renew.  As I walk back again and it picks up the other access point the correct IP address comes back again.  However other devices work fine.  It is as if the device is 'tethered' to a single access point and it is only that one that will provide a valid IP address. 

Message 9 of 13
schumaku
Guru

...that's why I suspect there might be a port config issue (somewhere in the VLAN/PVID area) for that single AP, or on the uplink towards the other switch and/or the router.

The other devices don't have a problem when doing the similar thing process, eg. the mobile phone?

Message 10 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

except I have one laptop that exhibits the symptoms, and one laptop that does not.  Surely a VLAN configuration issues would give a consistent outcome?

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

As this appears to be a very new installation, would you mind to take the plunge opening a support case (the first level is always a little hmmmm to bypass) via https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx  please? I would love to see to get this fixed 8-)

Message 12 of 13
jamesbrownox
Tutor

Done, lets see how this goes!

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements