Battery Powered Wireless Access Point

DaveK_2000
Aspirant

Battery Powered Wireless Access Point

I am looking for a wireless access point that may be battery powered.  I see that Netgear has a variety of wireless access points that operate from a 12V ac adaptor.  I would like to replace the 12V ac adaptor with a direct connection to a 12V battery system.

I will need to know what the DC dropout voltage for the network gear is.  I.e., how low may the battery voltage be discharged before the network gear fails?

Also, I will need to know what the maximum DC input voltage is for the network gear.  The charging voltage for the battery system will exceed the "nominal" battery voltage by a few volts.

I am using a Ubiquiti Bullet to create a battery powered link to a remote wireless access point.  Now, I need to enable 1-3 hard wired ethernet connections to the DHCP server of the Bullet and 4-5 wireless connections.  All of this being done at a remote site that is battery powered.

I am not tied to the WAC720 model, it is the nearest available option that I could select.  I am considering a WAC104 or a WAC510.

Thank you for your assistance,

Dave

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Battery Powered Wireless Access Point

Hi DaveK_2000,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Unfortunately, WAC104 is only operated by a power adapter and the WAC510 is either POE/POE+ or power adapter. But if you can modify the power adapter to be battery operated, then that's not part of the support anymore. You may also check the warranty policy just in case the device will be bricked after the modification in the power adapter. The DC input voltage is indicated in the power adapter which

is 12V DC/1.5A for WAC104 and for WAC510 is 12V DC/2.5A.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
DaveK_2000
Aspirant

JohnCarloV,

I thank you for the response.  The informaton you provided is from the published specification for this device.

What I am looking for is more at an "engineering level".  I would like to know what voltage range at the DC input the device was designed to be compatible with.

I was told that "engineering support" monitors this community and that they would respond to "engineering level" requests.

Thank you again,

Dave

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@DaveK_2000,

Let's try to hear some feedback from @RaghuHR.

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DaveK_2000

Our WAC510 output voltage regulation is limited in +/-10%. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements