Highlighted

Can R8000 router WIFI be extened by using WAC505 AP

I want to extend the WIFI in my house, i have ethernet to the area where i have no WIFI from the r8000. The question i have is if i use a WAC505 can it use the same SSID as the R8000 so it appears to be one large wifi router rather than having to swap connections on my devices as i move about my home.

i.e.

R8000 >>>>> Wired lan >>>>> WAC505 >>wifi>> devices

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router, WAC505 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Can R8000 router WIFI be extened by using WAC505 AP

Sure, why not?

Be aware the WAC505 comes without a power supply, either use PoE or order the optional power supply.

Message 2 of 11
Highlighted

But can they have the same SSID and acts like a MESH network, where WIFI acess is seamless as you move about the house?

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

The same SSID(s) can be configured - however to my knowledge the Netgear consumer routers might not offer the features what consumer devices define as Mesh, so no alternate AP announcement, and the clients might stick to the R8000 therefore.

But then, I might be wrong and Netgear enhanced the Nighthawk Wi-Fi routers in the context of their Mesh extenders using the same standers technology.
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Donski-D-789 

You can configure same SSID on both the devices but it will not offer seamless roaming. 

Please check the following that might suit your requirement

WAC540:

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/insight-managed-wireless/WAC540.aspx

WAC564:

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/insight-managed-wireless/WAC564.aspx

Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000

https://www.netgear.com/orbi-pro/srk60.aspx

Message 5 of 11

Will have a look at both the WAC564 and WAC540 as the ORBI series do not do Ethernet backhaul....

thanks a lot !

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted

I stand corrected... I was following another community thread on one of the Guru's stated that... but it was year ago !

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

@Donski-D-789 wrote:

Will have a look at both the WAC564 and WAC540 ...

WAX610 is available already, too - keep in mind this can reach higher peak rates than one Gigabit, it has a 2.5G Multigig port requiring a different PoE+ switch.

@Donski-D-789 wrote:

ORBI series

It does Ethernet backhaul - with far to much restrictions and non-transparent limitations in my opinion. If you go the Insight way (or manaul config of the WAC/WAX/GC/or other cloud manageable switch) you will never look back to the consumer equipment.

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted

@schumakuand @RaghuHR  you guys are killing me with options !!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

what would you reccomend, i want to keep my R8000, is works really well for most of my house, what would you add connected via Ethernet Backhaul to allow a "mesh" type experience where i have 1 SSID for the whole house with good throughput options and seamless switching between router WIFI and AP WIFI.

my shortlist list is... Nighthawk X6S, WAC564, WAC540, WAX610, Orbi Pro SRK60 (not sure if i would need an ORBI Router for this though).

thanks a lot guys, appreciate it....

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

The "non-Mesh" capable devices is the R8000 ... even if Netgear does offer consumer class Mesh Extenders exactly for that usage.

Personally, I try to avoid the consumer devices anyway. X6S Mesh Extender is overkill, just like the Orbi Router - unless you intend to head the Orbi path.

I'd suggest giving whatever WAC or WAX a try (whatever you really need at that dead zone area), and then test if the seamless roaming (that's roughtly what the consumer device makers define as "Mesh") in both directions.

Should this not work as epxected (wireless clients keep sticky to the "far" AP), again look for a WAC/WAX to replace the R8000 wireless part, keep the router active of course - just with the wireless disabled.

Don't forget - to power the WAC/WAX you need either an optional power-supply for each, or a PoE (WAC505) or PoE+ switch (WAC540/564/WAX610). 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements