× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Can't Factory Reset WC7520

Decenenti
Aspirant

Can't Factory Reset WC7520

I m trying to factory reset a ProSafe WC7520 controller so we can get access (unknown username and password) however am having no luck.

I have tried the instructions here: http://kb.netgear.com/6668/Factory-reset-of-Wireless-Controllers of holding down the reset button for 5 seconds when powering on (and have held for much longer). However I still cannot access or ping the default IP when it boots, and with a console cable the default username and password (admin/password) are not accepted.

Is there anything else I can try to ge access to the unit?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Can't Factory Reset WC7520

Hi,

Before raising a support case, Can you press and hold the reset button for more than 10seconds, and until the power LED starts blinkiing. On the consoloe you should be able to see the following message

"FACTORY DEFAULT APP: Reset to default requested, system will be restarted shortly !" 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Decenenti,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you disconnected the WC7520 from the existing network then perform a factory reset on it? 

b. Have you tried another PC/laptop to connect it directly to the WC7520 then try to ping its default IP address? 

c. What is the behavior of the LED lights on the WC7520? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Decenenti
Aspirant

Hi DaneA, thanks for getting back to me, please see below:

a. Have you disconnected the WC7520 from the existing network then perform a factory reset on it? 

Yes, at first the device was only connected to a PC with a console cable. I have since connected it to a PC through a space switch to try and get browser connectivity, however it is not connected to the network.

b. Have you tried another PC/laptop to connect it directly to the WC7520 then try to ping its default IP address? 

I have tried one laptop and one PC connected to the device and neither can get a ping response from the default IP address.

c. What is the behavior of the LED lights on the WC7520? 

When I power on the device with the Factory Reset button held down, the Power and Test LEDs are both on. The output of the console port is:

Executing bootcmd in 5 seconds - enter ctrl+c to abort

However nothing happens unless I release the Facory Reset button.

When I release the Factory Reset button it runs through the boot process, and both LEDs stay on through some of this, until just the Power button remains lit. I can then get to the login prompt however it does not accept the default admin/password. Also I cannot ping the device on either the previous, or default IP address.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Decenenti,

It seems that the WC7520 is faulty.  With regard to this, I suggest you to open an online case or chat case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  Let them know about the status of the WC7520 wireless controller.  Be ready to submit a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the WC7520 for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid then an online replacement will follow. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
Decenenti
Aspirant

Ok thanks, I will open a support case.

Message 5 of 8
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Before raising a support case, Can you press and hold the reset button for more than 10seconds, and until the power LED starts blinkiing. On the consoloe you should be able to see the following message

"FACTORY DEFAULT APP: Reset to default requested, system will be restarted shortly !" 

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Decenenti,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to perform the suggestion of @LaxmankumarG?  If yes, what is the result?

Also, if ever you were able to open a chat/online case with NETGEAR Support, keep us posted about the progress of it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
Decenenti
Aspirant

@LaxmankumarG wrote:

Hi,

Perfect, that resolved the issue, thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements