× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Can't connect to admin page WAC104 Access Point

TristanDarn
Aspirant

Can't connect to admin page WAC104 Access Point

Hello all. I just bought a brand new AC1200 Dual Radio (WAC104) access point to hookup to the guest room of our house. I was following the setup guide provided in the box, and everything was flowing smoothly.... for about 45 seconds. Connected to the SSID on my macbook pro via WiFi, entered the passcode (sharedsecret) and went straight to http://www.aplogin.net as instructed. When I got to this page, it asked me to login - I used the standard "admin" and "password" as the login credentials, and it took me right into the next page which looked like the configurations page for the AP itself. But then a pop up flashed across my screen and it said "please change password" and it took me to a login page again where it asked for old password, set password, re-enter password. So, I entered in "password" as the old password and chose a new password to set it to, and then it prompted the same thing again.... change password. I kept trying to change the password several times, and I tried using "password," "sharedsecret" and even tried using the password that I originally tried to set it to. I got stuck in a very frustrating endless loop where it kept telling me to change the password and it wouldn't let me get to any other screen. I then tried to close the browser and return to aplogin, where it then told me that "You're not connected to your routers WiFi network, try clearing your history and cache and try again. So I did that, several times. Nothing happened.

I then tried reseting the AP to factory settings and starting from scratch, but now it just kept bringing me to the same error page where it said I wasn't connected to my router's WiFi. I then tried looking up all the manuals and support guides possible on netgears page, and even tried configuring the IPv4 manually to "192.168.0.210" and the subnet mask to "255.255.255.0" as it said in one of the help guides and then tried to open my browser to http://192.168.0.100/ to access the login page, and it just wouldnt load. I have tried everything, I have reset all my caches and browsers, I have tried on my macbook with MacOS and on my iPhone, and I literally can't even make it back to the aplogin page where it tells me to login using "admin" and "password" as the credentials. This has been an extremely frustrating experience and I have no idea why the thing was asking me to change to a new password when I hadn't even configured anything on the damn AP yet. Oh - I also tried it on both of the SSID's provided, 11N and 11AC, just in case you think I hadn't tried that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated or this thing is being sent straight back to the store.

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 1 of 15
TristanDarn
Aspirant

I guess I can provide a little bit of additional information re the situation. It is plugged in via the LAN1 port to a ethernet cable that runs to the main gateway inside of our house and all of the LED display lights that the guide said needed to be on were on. I do not have a laptop with its own ethernet port to try and set it up that way, so that option is off the table. I'm really, really, really confused as to why the thing wasn't accepting the password change and why it kept prompting it. Had it not done that, I was in the settings page and was literally one minute away from having it setup and ready to go. 

Message 2 of 15
rswansen
Aspirant

I cannot answer your question, but I am having difficulties re-logging into my WAC104.  I set it up a long time ago, and now want to go in and change a setting.  I cannot even get the login page to come up.  Writing this because, "misery loves company," and I am hoping that the answer to your problem helps me with mine.  This is maddening.

Message 3 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TristanDarn / @rswansen,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly try to disconnect the WAC104 from your existing network.  Then, follow the steps indicated in the article below:

How do I install my WAC104 access point?

Hope it helps. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 15
ianadamson
Aspirant

Although the installation steps are correct, this does nto address the infinte password rest loop that occurs trying on the admin page.

I've tried on 6 browsers, 3 operating systems and 4 devices with no luck. This includes, an iPad, iPhone, Macbook Pro and Surface Pro (Windows)

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 5 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ianadamson,

Just found out from the NETGEAR Support Team that you have an ongoing support ticket.  You may post here the progress of it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 15
325racer
Aspirant

Any answer on this? I'm having the exact same issues.

Initial start up brings me to the Admin page where I'm forced to change password. After changing the password I cannot log back into the Admin pages.

Message 7 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@325racer,

I was informed by the NETGEAR Support Team that you already contacted them and your concern got resolved.  You may want to share here the solution provided.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 15
Msac55
Aspirant

Having this same issue. Have done everything - reset AP, power cycle router, tried from 7 different devices. AP will only ask me to reset password and will not do anything else no matter how many times I reset password. I have two other WAC104s and did not have this issue. I am ready to throw this thing in the trash. Please fix this.
Message 9 of 15
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Msac55,

Given that you performed the basic troubleshooting methods and also have 2 other WAC104s that didn't have that issue, you may try contacting NETGEAR Support for a hardware replacement (instructions here). 

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 15
ajc_911
Aspirant

What's the solution? I'm having exact same problem, purchased from Amazon a few months back and cannot use it. 

Message 11 of 15
ajc_911
Aspirant

Wow...just bad software design and poor documentation.....i figured out that it DOES actually reset the password, so you have to disconnect from wifi, forget the wifi network, then re-connect using the new password and you're in. Ridiculous.

Message 12 of 15
Msac55
Aspirant

I can’t remember what I did to get this to work but eventually I tried it from a desktop PC wired to my network and it worked. This is not really a feasible option for everyone though.
Message 13 of 15
bcro
Aspirant

This is what worked for me and has worked every time. On a windows computer google advancedipscanner.com and download it and install, then power up your wac104 and connect it to your router. (I have a comcast router) goto your computer and run advanced ip scanner and click on scan. You will get a list of devices, look for your wac104. If there are more than one verify the mac address. note the ip and open a browser and type in that ip  address. you should see the sign in page. If you have problems try resetting the wac104 by using a papper clip to hold in the reset button for no less the 60 seconds. I let it reset for 65 to 70 seconds. then try again. Good luck.

Message 14 of 15
HyperionWS
Aspirant

This worked for me, thx

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements