× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Compatibility question

Christian75
Initiate

Compatibility question

Bonjour,

I have currently a NETGEAR WAX615 and 2 NETGEAR EAX15 extenders. I would like to buy an NETGEAR Orbi Wifi 6E Mesh (RBKE963) system. I would like to know if they are compatible and in particular for the Mesh.

Is all the network can be managed from a single APP? In such a case which one?

You can reply in English or French

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Compatibility question

Simple response? No, they're not compatible. 

Here's the orbi compatibility chart.
https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible

More complex? 

yes, you can get the extenders to work with orbi but they won't integrate with the system. They'll work as extenders but they won't roam the same and might end up adding more problems than they fix. 

I usually see people use things like that when they've already got an orbi and just need to connect a hardwired device or something on the peripheral that doesn't need the full integration. 

Message 2 of 4
Christian75
Initiate

Thank you for your quick answer 🙂

Desapointing... If I understand, as I am already equiped with WAX615, ORBI is not a good option for me.

WAX series and EAX series (Nigthawk) do not seem to be compatible neither.

I would like to have a wifi6 meshed network. I have a big old house with big walls and a big garden.

This is my current setup I'm not happy about.TP-Link is not plugged yet.

Do you have an advise on the setup I should get from here?

Greenshot 2023-05-15 06.01.08.png

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Your setup isn't that bad. You have the WAX coving one home and the freebox/EAX coving the other. 

With a tplink outdoor AP. 

If they networks aren't in range of each other (or signal is pretty weak), you'll probably roam fine. Again, provided they're isn't to much overlap. 

If it was me and I had whatever budget I needed? 
I'd hold off a bit as wifi 7 devices are starting to be released. Not that you need wifi 7 but when it does, the wifi 6/6E devices go on sale more as well as you see more refurbished items. You could switch to a full either orbi consumer or pro setup, or even just switch to use the insight AP's (like the WAX) for a mesh. You just have to stick within the same ecosystem. Right now you're mixing consumer gear, pro gear, and different manufacturers. Wait and watch to see what line of gear has all the equipment you want and stick on that line of equipment. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements