× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Connecting a Netgear WAX630 AP (30,1W) to a Netgear GC510P (POE+ or 802.3at or 30W MAX)

alxkkbrg
Aspirant

Connecting a Netgear WAX630 AP (30,1W) to a Netgear GC510P (POE+ or 802.3at or 30W MAX)

Hi everyone--

It seems I bought the wrong switch 😞 My setup regarding my question is me using a WAX630 access point and a Netgear GC510P POE+ switch.

Since the power consumption of the AP always was way below 30W I thought it was a sufficent to buy the Netgear GC510p Switch not knowing at that time that the AP needs 802.3bt standard somehow to function normally. Anyhow, as I had to learn from a message displayed in the Netgear GUI the darn 0,1W are forcing me to either live with reduced performance OR buy a new switch OR an POE++ infusor. 

My questions are:

1. Is this true? Did I understand this correctly?

2. How big/ large is the performance loss conecting the AP to a POE+ switch

3. Is there maybe a way to compensate the missing 0,1W to get the AP to normal performance

Thank you for your help, you wisdomis crowd of the knowing.

Alex

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connecting a Netgear WAX630 AP (30,1W) to a Netgear GC510P (POE+ or 802.3at or 30W MAX)

Well, almost fine. They still keep the door open to state the possibly limited to 30W at the PSE (or just 25.5W at the PD on the maximum cable lenth) can lead to a preformance or functionality limitation. It's a little bit more than just the .1W FWIW.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi Alex,

In my understanding and as discussed with Netgear product management and engineering - you see you are not the only one confused by these messages - the switch PSE will power the PD, the WAX will boot and run normally under most operation states if powered "just" from a 802.3at PSE. There is a small risk that the PD can draw more power than the 802.3at can supply, what would lead to a crash and restart. There is however no reduced power available for the typical operations, eg. the radios will operate at the full speed.

Now most PSE can supply a little bit more power than the theoretical 802.3at limit implies. And you might not hit any issue.  If you don't push the switch (the PSE) to it's power budget limits, the risk is overseeable. And that's why Netgear allows this overdraft, and does not enforce the requirement of a 802.3bt PSE - this would prohibit powering from a 802.3at PSE.

As long as you don't exceed four WAX630, the GC510P with it's 802.3at PSE ports providing 4 x 30.1W max you will be still within the power budget of 134W (from wally brain). While Netgear allows powering the WAX630 from a 802.11at PSE port, there is no guarantee each PSE and PD combination is be workable.

If you want to be on the "correct" side of the IEEE PoE specs, think about a PoE++ switch. When pushing things to the max, say you choose a Netgear MS510TXUP eight Ultra60 PoE++ ports with 295W PoE budget to drive eight WAX630 you see that you will be well within the specs for the PD as well as the PSE.

Regards,
-Kurt

Message 2 of 5
alxkkbrg
Aspirant

Hi Kurt--

Thanks for the quick reply. So sum up if I understood your reply correctly:

1. The message of the Netgear AP's GUI is incorrct.

2. The AP is not reduced in performance or throughput when connecting to "just" a POE+ class4, 802.3at switch which only supports 30W max.

3. If AP hits the power limit of 30W+ and will reboot, one should consider to buy a more powerful POE++ switch (e.g. models suggested by you).

In other words: "ignore the message, you are fine!". Is that it? Does that sum it up?

Thanks and best wishes,

Alex

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Yes, exactly!
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Well, almost fine. They still keep the door open to state the possibly limited to 30W at the PSE (or just 25.5W at the PD on the maximum cable lenth) can lead to a preformance or functionality limitation. It's a little bit more than just the .1W FWIW.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements