× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Default DHCP Server

rhdub7b3
Aspirant

Default DHCP Server

Just curious about the functionality out of the box for the WAX610 APs.  Could they run standalone as a router similar to a Nighthawk, even though they are meant to be function as accesspoints?  I have a use case, where I want to connect devices to it in a LAN environment and communicate between the devices, but there may not be a DHCP server appliance like pfsense or BR200 to facilitate.  It will be entirely closed with no internet connection.  Does the WAX610 come with a built in dhcp server?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Default DHCP Server

Netgear business APs are neither a routes nor come with a DHCP server built-in. The only exception was the WAC510 in this class which has a dead simple router functionality built-in.

Justification?

From the physical deployment view, APs are installed up on walls, up on a ceiling, ... that's simply not the ideal place for routers, for hanging many cables, ...

From the simplicity and the security prospective, having router core on an AP does add risks by feature virtually nobody needs in an AP.

Any simple (multi-VLAN?) capable router, a RasPi, a pfSense, or the like can easy be configured for such a purpose.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Netgear business APs are neither a routes nor come with a DHCP server built-in. The only exception was the WAC510 in this class which has a dead simple router functionality built-in.

Justification?

From the physical deployment view, APs are installed up on walls, up on a ceiling, ... that's simply not the ideal place for routers, for hanging many cables, ...

From the simplicity and the security prospective, having router core on an AP does add risks by feature virtually nobody needs in an AP.

Any simple (multi-VLAN?) capable router, a RasPi, a pfSense, or the like can easy be configured for such a purpose.  

Message 2 of 3
rhdub7b3
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I understood as much, but wanted to make sure the functionality was not in the device for some reason.  I appreciate your response!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements